Chapter 19

"That's your house?" Vania stared up at the multistory stone building rising before them as they passed through a black iron gate and moved in closer to the front stairs.

"My father's, actually. Well, mother's, if you really want to be technical. A'marlon society places higher status on the women," Eddin muttered.

"Master D'merdon!" a man in blue and yellow hurried from a small building to stand by the mare, looking up at the enforcers. "I... see you've brought another guest."

"C'larkton, this is my work partner, Enforcer Vania Nahalora. Vania, this is C'larkton. Stable master."

Vania swallowed, suddenly all too conscious of her dirty clothes and unkept hair; "Um. Hello. I... just had to make sure Eddin made it home safely. He... um. Had an altercation with a murderer."

"Shall I call for the physician, master?" the stable master asked as he led the mare over to the wooden dismounting platform.

"No. No need. I took a nasty bump to the head, is all. Made me terribly dizzy. Do tell the chamberlain to turn down a bed, though. It's poor manners to send a lady home unescorted this time of night; she can spend the night here."

"Yes, of course."

"Eddin. I can't stay here," Vania hissed as she helped him slide from the horse onto the platform.

He leaned on her, putting one arm across her shoulders, the hawk swiftly switching to his opposite side. "Why not? I promise, we won't make you sleep in a closet. Unless that would be more comfortable for you," he teased. "I know you're not accustomed to rooms with enough space to stretch without touching both walls." He looked at her; his eyes were open, but his gaze missed hers by a little. The hawk also swiveled its head to stare at her with unblinking eyes.

"You're using the hawk again, aren't you?" Vania carefully guided him down the steps to the ground as the stable master led the bay mare away. The horse whinnied and shook her head, eyes rolling back toward Eddin.

"Yes. One benefit of my training as animal wrangler—I can see through their eyes, when they let me. Taric is usually amenable." He stopped and turned to where the servant wrestled his horse. "Tarva." The mare shook her head and twitched her ears, then went still. "It is time to rest—go to your stall." The horse whinnied once, throwing another wild look at him, then turned and trotted through the open barn door, practically dragging the poor stable master.

I've seen dogs that are less well-behaved, even among the valued messenger dogs. Vania finally stopped staring after the horse when the barn door closed. She turned back toward the front staircase, feeling incredibly tiny staring up at the stone building's five levels. High on the roof, gargoyles leered and laughed. She sighed, straightening as best she could under Eddin's weight, and began climbing the granite stairs with him, carefully stepping over the ivy slowly claiming the surface.

"You didn't say why you can't stay," Eddin reminded her as they gained the top step.

She looked up at the dark wooden door, painted deep blue with tiny yellow stars winking on its surface. Far above her head, the arch of the door was carved with birds; at her feet, carvings of prowling and swimming animals decorated the surface. I'm way out of my depth, here. "I have somewhere to be. I'm already going to be late."

His arm tightened around her and he frowned. "No. You can't go to that woman. She clearly isn't trustworthy. Besides, that wizard's still out there, and now he's gone after you twice. The wards here should be strong enough to protect you." He reached his other hand out and took hold of the wrought iron ring, shaped like circling hawks, pulling the door open. "Come inside." He stumbled slightly as he stepped over the threshold, leaning harder on her smaller frame.