Chapter 15

"Vania. I thought I might find you here." Bergin slid onto the chair across the table from her in the bakery. "Eddin told me what happened. You okay?"

"I'm fine, Bergin. Shouldn't you be out patrolling with Jezora?"

"Told her I had paperwork to finish, and she could walk our route on her own."

Vania gave him a scrutinizing look; "Didn't you tell me that honesty between work partners is absolutely vital?" She muttered after, "Not that honesty was ever your strong point."

He looked at her; "Yes. I did. And, honestly, do you think she and I truly count as partners?"

Vania shrugged; "You patrol together. You solve cases together. That seems to be what it means to be work partners."

"And when did I lie to you? I didn't even hide the fact of what I'd done from you!"

"I...don't want to do this, Bergin. Please, can you go?"

"I understand if you hate me," Bergin said. He stood. "I just... want to make sure you're okay. I know we can't work together anymore. I know we can't even be friends. I can't look at you without remembering what I did; I'm sure you can't be near me without thinking about it, either. I just... want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine." Vania crossed her arms. "You don't need to check in with me. I've been taking care of myself for years."

"Because of what I did," Bergin whispered. After a moment of silence, Bergin placed a small purse on the table.

"Reparation?" Vania asked in disbelief. "After ten years?"

"No," Bergin replied quietly. "Too much time has passed for that. Back then, none of us knew... you existed. We didn't know... we'd just orphaned a child." Taking a deep breath, he thrust his hands in his pockets. "Just... use it for the rent you pay for that closet you call home. Use it to keep your wards fresh and strong. No one knows when Captain Murrick is going to call you back."

"I don't want your money, Bergin."

"Well, if it makes you feel better... it's not my money. It's everyone's." Bergin looked away from her. "Eddin said, after Captain Murrick made the announcement, everyone in the room spoke to him, some in groups and some quietly alone, about getting you funds. Everyone knows no work means no pay. Your work family wants to help you."

"Everyone knows I'm poor. Not a member of some noble or rich merchant family, like all the rest of you," Vania whispered.

"Just let them help you," Bergin pleaded quietly. "We all know you can take care of yourself. We all know you're a very capable woman. But everyone needs help now and then. Please... just let us help."

"If everyone needs help now and then, what do you need help with, Bergin?"

Bergin sighed, admitting quietly, "Moving beyond my failures." He walked away, quickly exiting the bakery before she could reply.

Licia came and stood by Vania; "Was that Bergin's voice I just heard, dear?"

"Yes. He left already."

"Oh. Didn't he want any butter crescents? Or lemon curd cake?" Licia placed her fists on her hips, looking around the empty shop floor.

"Not tonight, Licia."

"Hm. Wonder why. That's what he usually asks for." The baker's wife looked sideways at Vania. "You two didn't fight, did you?"

"No, Licia. You and Derry would certainly have heard us if we'd been shouting at each other."

"Not all fights are shouted, Vania. You know that."