Chapter 9

"So this is your place?" Eddin asked as he reined in Tarva outside a small brick and timber building. Vania nodded. He easily slid off the horse, then helped Vania down gently, careful to not place her feet in one of the many puddles. "The general seemed to think this place is bad. So, what's wrong with it? It looks solid enough."

Vania massaged the bridge of her nose between her eyes; "Don't let Derry ever catch you calling him that. He's a baker now, not a general. And he's quite satisfied with that." She walked to her front door. "He's just uneasy when he can't keep an eye on me; I lived with them, you know. After my parents. Before this job. He and Dad were best friends. They each promised the other that, should anything happen, they would take care of the other's family. That was when they were still in the military."

"Ah." Eddin led his mare up to the doorway, then unslung the pack secured to the back of the saddle. "And don't forget all the food from Licia. She sure wants to make sure you're fed." He eyed the bulging sack. "Was she ever a cook in the mess when he was still a general? Looks like she'd know how to feed an army."

Vania snorted, then tried to fight her laughter as her head throbbed. "No. No, cooking is just how she copes with stress. The more she worries, the more she cooks and bakes."

"Well, let's catch this guy before she runs out of food in the pantry to cook with."

"We will." Vania unlocked her door, then turned. "Well, thanks for the ride. Watch out for renegade wizards on your way home."

"May I come in?"

"You're not staying." Vania scowled at him. "You and Bergin both—you act like I can't take care of myself. I know how to defend myself—I'll be fine."

"I realize this, and I'm sorry if we were overbearing today. It's just... neither of us take too kindly to someone attacking a comrade-in-arms. You know. You would get defensive and angry if it was me who'd got attacked."

Vania looked Eddin over very pointedly; "If anyone dared to attack you, we'd need to send them to the Wizard Council to get their sanity checked."

Eddin broke into a grin, white teeth flashing brightly in what was left of the daylight; "My father used to tell me stories about how we had a family of giants in our ancestor list. All completely bogus, of course."

"Of course," Vania echoed.

"So, may I come in? If I promise not to try to stay, and solemnly swear I'll not treat you like a defenseless kitten?"

"There's nowhere to tie your horse."

Eddin grinned; "She won't go anywhere; and if someone tries to steal her, they'll find out she knows how to defend herself, too."

Vania sighed; "Fine." She went inside, leaving the door open.

"Thank you. There is something we need to discuss." He followed her inside and shut the door. He stopped, back to the doorway, and took in the one-room house. His eyes swept over her hammock bed, to the short table holding the lantern with the blackening glass. A short shelf was at waist height, for use as a counter for cooking, with two cupboards nailed to the walls above it off to the left. An old crate was pushed into the corner to his right, opposite the bed.

"You've had the grand tour," she waved her hand around the room. "Bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and reception hall all conveniently rolled into one. Welcome to not a rich person's house." She sat down with a sigh on her bed and indicated the stool nearby. "Have a seat."

He paused, still taking in the sparseness of the room.

Elbow resting on her leg, she rested her head on her fist; "You probably have closets bigger than this."