Chapter 7

A familiar pair of people stood in front of the station door, a crate resting on the ground behind them. Eddin reined in the horse quickly, stopping in front of the duo.

"Enforcers Nahlstrom and Kahlin, how good to see you," Eddin greeted. He slid off the mare and reached up to give Vania a hand. "What brings you to Lower Quarter?"

"We—" Bergin began.

"The magic surge two weeks ago laid up all the tydring on the force for three days, along with everyone else sensitive to magic," Kahlin interrupted. "Bergin here was worried about Vania. Wouldn't stop wondering how she was, so finally I suggested we come down and see." She smiled at Vania, then looked to Bergin and teased, "See, Bergin? She's fine. But it was so cute how you were so worried."

"Shut up, Jezora," Bergin muttered to his work partner. "As I was saying. A crate of supplies from Central for Lower Quarter mistakenly got delivered to Merchant Quarter Station. Since our patrol route takes us relatively close to this station, I told Captain Ther'rin we could bring it down."

"Kind of you," Eddin said brightly. "I'm sure Captain Murrick will be pleased." He tied the bay to a post by the door. "Just this one crate?"

"Yes."

"I'll carry it in. If you both would like to come inside, we have a case we maybe should discuss with you."

"Of course we'll come in," Enforcer Kahlin smiled as Eddin easily picked up the crate. "My, what muscles you have. You're Enforcer Bucktin, correct? Bergin struggled with that crate much more."

Bergin yanked open the door, grinning as he said through clenched teeth, "Shut up, Jezora."

"Yes, ma'am. Enforcer Bucktin. You can call me Eddin." He nodded at the two women. "After you."

"Why thank you." Kahlin smiled in turn at Eddin and then Bergin, who still stood, holding the door. "Come along, Vania. It's good to see you're escorted by such a gentleman. And riding double with him! You do know what they say about riding double, don't you?"

"Oh, shut up, Jezora," Vania replied. She lengthened her stride and left the group behind.

"Oh," Kahlin replied, stopping in her tracks. "Someone's having a bad day, and it's not just you, Bergin!"

From behind Eddin's enormous back came the sound of Bergin's sigh.

As they emerged from the exit corridor into the main room, someone called, "Hey, look! Eddie Buckteeth is back!" A bunch of enforcers chuckled and elbowed each other.

Vania cringed as she saw her partner grimace. I should have chose a better runner this morning... She rested her forehead on her folded hands on the desk and closed her eyes. She didn't look up as two pairs of footsteps stopped nearby.

"Vania," Bergin said from where one of the pairs of footsteps had stopped. "Are you all right?"

"Peachy," she muttered. Your powers must be really manifesting now, Bergin. You give me a much bigger headache.

"Did I hear someone say Enforcer Nahalora is back?" a voice asked.

Enforcer? Must be someone new. I'm just a recruit. Vania didn't raise her head. A third pair of footsteps stopped by her desk. Great. Just what I need. A crowd. She cringed as her head began to throb.

"Enforcer Vania Nahalora?"

"Recruit," Vania replied, speaking into the desktop.

"What was that? Sit up and look at me when you're speaking to me."

Vania took a deep breath and held it for a moment before sitting up; Rand'din stood at her desk, looking down at her.

"Good. Now, let's get this over with; I have lots of work to do."

Vania grimaced, rubbing her temples; "Get what done, Rand'din?"

"I have been tasked with fixing your armlets. Since you're here this time, I can make the spell better. I won't be going off an old hair this time." He threw a look to Bergin before looking back down to Vania. "Come. There's a private spelling room available. I don't have all day."

Vania cringed as she shook her head; "No."

"You were laid up two weeks. Everyone else who was affected was only out for three days, if that. Clearly, the amount of power in the surge caused your bands to malfunction and fail to protect you. That is a liability for you and everyone around you. I need to fix them."

She sighed as her head swam; she shut her eyes as she replied, "Did you sense the spell fail?" Too many magic users in here. I need to get back outside.

"No."

"Then it's still working." She opened her eyes and looked up at him. From across the room, she heard the heavy footsteps of Eddin making his way over. "The armlets protect me from malicious magic being placed upon me. The magical surge from two weeks ago wasn't directed at me personally; hence, it didn't shield me from it. The bands are still working fine."

"Well, clearly that was an oversight. If someone were to discover that flaw in your protection, it would certainly be exploited. I still need to fix them."

"No. However, we do need the assistance of a magic user on our current case, so it's good you deigned to come downstairs." She stood, leaning on her desk. She looked around at the gathered trio, fighting back the mounting dizziness. Her work partner joined the group, silently towering over even Rand'din. "Eddin can brief you all on what's transpiring." She pushed away from the desk and began to walk toward the exit corridor. "I'm... gonna go take care of the horse."

"Vania, wait," Eddin said. Vania didn't hear what Bergin said in reply. She gritted her teeth as she walked away and didn't let herself stop moving until she was outside. She fell back against the wall, breathing heavily. She silently noted that at least the sun was finally giving her a break. White and light grey clouds were building overhead. The bay mare grumbled lowly and took a few steps away from her.

"Oh, shut up. I don't like you, either," Vania mumbled. She forced her eyes open against the muted daylight and untied the reins from the post with shaking fingers.

"Oh, good, an enforcer!" A man ran up to her as she walked the horse along the side of the building. His beard and hair were long and looked greasy, the colorful tendrils limply moving in the breeze of his motions. "I need help!"

She slowly turned, swallowing against the bile rising in her throat as her head began pounding; Another magic user, and a powerful one. "What is it, sir?" She leaned slightly against the mare who snorted and pranced, trying to get out from between Vania and the man.

"Please, you have to help me!" He grabbed at her free arm.

"I can't help if you don't tell me what's wrong. What's going on?"

"Come with me!" The man pulled at her.

Vania grimaced at his touch and she felt the metal bands around her upper arms go cold. The mare whinnied loudly and rose up, rearing back and kicking with her front hooves. Ducking to avoid the flying hooves, Vania fell backward into the stone wall of the station, striking her already pounding head.

Ow. Shit. Ow. She blinked repeatedly, but her vision wouldn't clear. Damn horse. Damn wizard. Both of you stop shouting. She reached out along the wall, seeking a handhold to haul herself up, but her fingers found only smooth stone. As she finally regained her feet, she heard more voices.

"Vania."

"Vania."

"What happened?"

"Are you all right?"

Her blurry vision wavered and she squinted, trying to make sense of the two figures before her.

"Whoa. Hey, careful." Strong arms grabbed her as her legs gave out.

"Bring her inside."

"Did anyone see where that wizard went?"

"Vania, what happened?"

"I need a group of enforcers to track down that wizard. NOW!"