Chapter 3

"Enforcer Bucktin. A word." The captain beckoned.

Eddin stood quickly; muttering to Vania, "Keep an eye on our guest." He followed the captain down the hallway without another word.

I never realized Eddin is taller than the captain, Vania thought absently as she watched him go. As far as a'marlon go, Captain is considered short, but compared to the rest of us, he's still tall. I guess Eddin must be average height, for an a'marlon. Though, most a'marlon don't get as...bulky...as he is. They tend to be more lithe. Maybe he's... mixed? But with what? Human, maybe? But then he shouldn't be so tall... Domlian perhaps? They are so varied in appearance, it's almost impossible to label any specific trait typical... Most of them aren't that tall, either, though. Maybe he's just... atypical.

"I still do not see how sitting here does any good," Sylvern commented.

"Well, sir, we are waiting for word from the wizards upstairs," Vania replied, turning in her chair to face him. "About the results of their initial search. If they can give us even a little wisp of a clue, that will help tell us at least which direction to go."

"I can sense nothing. They won't fare any better."

"Well, we can't just go door to door through the entire city, seeking for your wife."

"Why not?"

Vania stopped, staring for a moment at the pale domlian; as he sat looking at her in silence, she finally answered, "It's impractical. Also inefficient. This city is huge---it would take weeks to search it entirely from top to bottom. And, in the meantime, whoever has your wife and son could move them around, avoiding us, and even take them out of the city, by either land or sea." She sighed, placing her elbow on the desk and leaning into her hand, pinching the bridge of her nose between her fingers. You sitting here, giving me a headache isn't helping the search, either, pal. "I know it's hard to wait—you must be very worried. But, really, it could save us a lot of time if they can find something to guide us." She began massaging her temples.

"Do I hurt you? I must, don't I?" Sylvern muttered foreign words. "I forget how sensitive some of you are. Is that better?"

Vania swallowed her gasp and instead sighed with relief, "Yes." She looked over to Sylvern, then froze, her mouth open but her question forgotten. He still looked the same, yet... different, somehow. Less vibrant. Or maybe duller. That was... definitely strange. He looks... off, somehow. Different. Yet, still the same. But very much less intense. "How... What did you do?"

"I... muffled myself, so you won't be oppressed by the feeling of my power near you. However, I cannot stay this way. If Lineia should break free from her captor, she won't be able to reach me like this. Not easily. And if her escape is but temporary, every moment is precious. She must be able to find me."

"I... see." I don't understand it at all. "Well, thank you, anyway. For the respite."

"Vania." Eddin jerked his head and motioned her toward a different corridor. "We gotta talk."

"Well, I was feeling better," Vania muttered. She and Sylvern both stood.

"Not you," Eddin replied, pointing at the domlian. "You stay right there. We'll be back in a moment."

"If it has to do with my wife, I should be present for the discussion," Sylvern replied smoothly, walking beside Vania. "You must have information. And you wish to discuss it with your work partner where I'm not around because you suspect I've harmed my wife."

Eddin stopped at the entrance of the corridor and gave Sylvern a hard stare; "Yes. I do."

"I know. I assure you, I had nothing to do with my wife's disappearance. If you focus all your energy on me, whoever has Lineia will kill her, and my son as well. Please do not waste valuable time."