Chapter 13

Bergin and Jezora were once more standing outside the Lower Quarter Station, waiting, when Eddin reined the mare to a stop.

"That was fast," Vania commented quietly as Eddin helped her down.

"I contacted them while you were changing," Eddin replied. "I'll take Tarva to the stables; you three get inside and get those things up to the wizards." He handed his cloak to Vania and turned away, leading the bay mare around the side of the building.

"So...still riding double, I see," Jezora remarked, grinning.

"We have a child to find; if we don't find her first, her body will be abandoned somewhere in the slums in five days." Vania walked past the pair and went inside, leaving them to catch up.

They found her staring up the stairs; Bergin asked, "You okay?"

She nodded vaguely; "A whole crew of them is coming down. We need to find her and find her quickly; we need to squash this guy hard, so he doesn't hurt anyone else."

"All right. Well, can we discuss this new development before they get here?" Bergin tugged at her sleeve. "Come sit down; you look so pale. I'm not sure you've recovered from yesterday."

She plastered a grin on her face, which looked more like a grimace. "I'm fine, Bergin. This case just... hurts. Laria's only six. Her father died trying to protect her, so she probably watched him die before the wizard carried her away."

"Horrific," Jezora commented as they gathered around Vania's desk.

Vania sunk into her chair and leaned back, closing her eyes. Gods, I'm tired. I'm doomed to never get a good night's sleep again, aren't I?

Eddin cleared his throat, bringing Vania back to sitting upright as he asked, "So, how much have you two heard?"

"Got another victim," Jezora said.

"Except, this is one we can save, if we move fast enough," Bergin added.

Footsteps made the group look toward the stairs; "Oh, gods, it's all of them, isn't it?" Vania muttered as the group of wizard enforcers crossed the room to where the four gathered.

"We can handle this if you'd like to... step out," Bergin murmured to her. "Eddin can explain what you two found. You're probably still unwell from yesterday. No one will think less of you."

Vania sighed as she shook her head; "No. I'm seeing this through. We need to save Laria—that takes precedence over my comfort."

"So, we are here, as requested," Rand'din announced, gesturing to himself and his fellows. "What is so important we must all stop what we're doing on our own cases?"

"Another person went missing last night. A six-year-old girl named Laria; her father was murdered when he tried to defend her," Eddin said. He grabbed his cloak from the top of Vania's desk. "We recovered two of her toys from her room; one of them is her favorite that she always took with her everywhere. We need you to use them to trace her."

"A simple trace spell? You don't need all of us for that."

"Not so simple," Eddin said quickly. "The man who took Laria is a magic user. He may have spells on her that will hide her from simple trace spells, so we need all of you to work together, in case you need to overcome his power. Plus, if he senses you and lashes out, you can protect each other."

Rand'din frowned, but agreed, "Fair point, Enforcer Bucktin. Very well, we shall combine our efforts for this. Where are these toys?"

Eddin pulled out the broken doll and the little leather frog. After looking at them sorrowfully, he handed them over to the wizard.