Chapter 20

Warm, rosy dawn light fingered its way through her eyelids. Vania woke, groaning slightly, rubbing her eyes. What place is burning, that red light comes through my window? she wondered hazily. As her booted foot hit the hardwood floor, she froze and looked around. Eddin's house. I'm at his place, she reminded herself. The family mansion, more like. Her eyes took in the large room as the morning sunlight brightened. The walls were light lavender, making the room seem brighter as more sunlight came in through the large windows. The blankets on the bed, covers on the pillows, and even the curtains were various shades of purple, blue, violet, or a mixture thereof. The violet room. Apt.

She stood and walked around the room, eyes roving. Along the wall containing the door to the hallway, a chest of drawers sat; a white porcelain basin and ewer waited for use in washing up, a deep violet towel sitting beside them. A door in the wall on the other side of the room led to a small chamber containing chamber pots. Running her hands along the smooth stones of the fireplace, she eyed the plump, cushioned chairs sitting by it, a thick rug on the ground between them. Under the windows sat a large, dark wood desk. The surface was smooth and free of chips, stains, and scratches. A narrow glass vase holding a simple mix of three flowers—one blue, one purple, and one red—sat upon the surface, clear glass winking in the sunlight.

In the far corner, near the door to the chamber pots, a tall folding screen hid a large brass tub. A simple wooden table sat near the edge of the tub, a basket with an array of soaps and glass vials of perfumes and oils begged to be tried. A thick, dark purple towel hung on the edge of the tub.

She walked around the room again slowly, eyes roving over the furniture, the fixtures, and the artwork on the walls. The view from the window displayed the sunrise over the city, light catching on rooftops and steeples. This one room is larger than my entire house. And it doesn't even have a closet. She sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. Well, now what? I doubt I could find my way out of here on my own. I could probably climb out the window, assuming I could get it open... But where is Eddin? And is he feeling better? Is he still blind and walking around with a hawk on his shoulder?

She opened the door and looked up and down the hallway. It was quiet. And empty. He promised someone within shouting distance, but... what if no one is awake? I don't hear anything. It's so... quiet. She ducked back into the room and closed the door gently.

A quiet rapping on the door made her jump. She turned in time to see a head duck quickly back out of the room, but the door remained ajar.

"G-good morning, Miss," a voice said. "Sorry to just walk in. I didn't know if you'd awakened yet or not. Master D'merdon instructed me to check on you first thing."

"Good morning," Vania replied. She opened the door; a young lady in the blue and yellow of the servants' uniforms stood in the hallway, looking at her feet, hands holding a bundle of cloth. "Where is Ed—D'merdon?" It's not just his last name he changed at work. Is there anything I know about him that's actually the truth?

"Master D'merdon said he could meet you in an hour, if you don't mind waiting, Miss, and he'll escort you to breakfast. If you're too hungry to wait, he said I could show you to the dining room."

Vania smiled at her; "Thank you for the information. I can wait." She looked up at the young a'marlon, fidgeting anxiously in the hallway, hands smoothing the bundle of cloth in her hands. "What's your name? I'm Vania, by the way."

"Um. My name is D'tessa, Miss."

"You don't have to call me 'Miss,' D'tessa. I'm a person, same as you." Vania smiled. The younger girl smiled shyly back, then looked away quickly. "I may be an enforcer, but I don't bite people just for looking at me," Vania teased. "Is anyone else awake? It's so quiet here."