Chapter 14

An old cottage, its roof half caved in, sat alone in a meadow of brambles and thorns.

"That it?" Bergin asked.

"Must be," Eddin replied, lifting his hand to shade his eyes. "We'd see him if he made a camp somewhere. Plus, for what he's doing, he'd want to be in some sort of shelter. Let's approach slowly, and keep watch—he likely expects we're coming. Vania, stay behind us. You've already been his target once." Eddin tapped his reins lightly to his horse's neck.

Laria, Vania thought as she clenched her reins harder, glaring at Eddin's back as he rode ahead. We're here to save Laria, and all the other future victims.

The four enforcers kneed their steeds forward, moving down the hill to the shack. At the foot of the hill, Eddin held up his hand. Everyone stopped.

"What is it?" Bergin asked quietly. "You sense something?"

"You don't?" Eddin asked. He reached into his cloak pocket and pulled free a ferret. "This one will scout the way for us."

"You just carry ferrets in your pocket?" Jezora asked.

"On a good day, yes," Eddin said, grinning, teeth flashing. "On a bad day, I need to bring them out and use them!" He held the ferret close to his face and locked eyes with the animal. "All right, Prant, we need you to find a little girl. Big, evil wizard is holding her captive. Watch out for traps and spells, but find the girl, then come back." The ferret squeaked once and then ran down his arm, leapt from the horse, and ran through the thorns to the house.

"It...understood you?" Jezora asked as they watched the ferret slink into the cracked and weathered front door.

"I was the animal wrangler for the army for five years in Hursa."

"And that means you can speak to animals and they understand?"

"Yes. It does."

They fell silent, watching the house. The broken windows seemed to glare balefully at them, jagged pieces of glass glinting in the sunlight. The cracked, grey wooden door swung lightly in the breeze, creaking faintly. The broken timbers of the roof groaned with the wind.

The little ferret slipped out of the door and disappeared around the back of the cottage.

"Is it running away? Why don't you call it back?"

"He hasn't found Laria yet. He's still looking. He'll be back. Prant is very reliable." Eddin shut his eyes, letting his head tip forward, chin resting on his chest.

They sat on their horses, tense, eyes straining to catch sight of the ferret, or any signs of movement in or near the building.

"He's found her," Eddin whispered. "She's alive. Where's the wizard, Prant? Show me. We can't run into this blind... Oh, gods, we need to get inside now." He spurred his horse forward before the others had a chance to react to his words. They hurried to follow.

Eddin threw open the cellar door as the others jumped off their horses.

"He's inside, throwing books and knives into a sack—he knows we're coming, and he's trying to escape. He muttered about finishing business first. We need to get down in there before he kills her." Prant ran up the stairs and climbed up Eddin to perch on his shoulder, chittering. "Vania. Stay behind us. I'll lead." He ran down the stairs before the others could protest.

Bergin drew his knives and followed, Jezora close on his heels. Vania sighed and rubbed the metal bands on her upper arms. These better still be working. She hurried down the stairs to the dark cellar below.