Chapter 15: The Promise Part I

The next day I woke up with a headache and puffy eyes from crying all night. I barely slept, with everything that has happened it was hard for me to stop from overthinking.

My phone kept blowing up with notifications and calls ever since everyone heard the news that my dad died, so I turned off my cellphone; I didn't want to deal with people when I couldn't deal with my own feelings.

Enzo stayed the night at my house. He was keeping a close eye on my room the whole night, I could hear his footsteps outside of my bedroom door and when I asked him why he wasn't sleeping in his room in the middle of the night, his response was that he was keeping watch "In any case I needed something". But I think the real reason of him being outside my bedroom door was to make sure that no harm came to me. There is a mole in our organization and that same person just got my dad kill, so whose to say that the same thing won't happen to me?

The security on my house has increased in numbers, everyone is on high alert more than ever.

Today is my father's funeral, and I have no idea how I am going to get through the day without a mental breakdown in front of everyone.

A few minutes after I woke up, I heard a soft knock on my door, "Come in." I say, my voice sounding exhausted and hoarse.

Enzo comes into the room, "Ms. Cattani, the chef prepared breakfast." he says offering me a small smile.

"I'm not hungry." I whisper, "Would you like me to bring you some fruit, instead?" he asks politely, trying to convince me to eat something. I took a deep breath and nod my head at him.

"I'll be right back." he says and leaves me alone in my room once again.

A few minutes later, there was another soft knock on my door; Enzo enters with a bowl of fruit cut into tiny pieces, I grabbed the bowl from him and I thanked him. But Enzo doesn't leave the room, instead he stands by the foot of my bed, I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

He hesitates to speak, so I asked him with a whisper, "Is there something else you want?".

He sighs and says, "Damiano called and said that he wanted to talk to you about something important. He also mentioned that he will be here in 30 minutes," he looks like he is not finished talking, so I waited patiently for him, "And also," he hesitates, and I nod my head as if encouraging him to go on, "Your dad's funeral will be held at 11AM." he finally says, my eyes start to water at that sentence, so I just nod my head at him in acknowledgment, not trusting my voice to speak.

After that, he excuses himself to leave the room and I eat my bowl of fruit with tears streaming down my face. Once I finished half of the fruits, I went to the bathroom to start getting ready for the day I have ahead.

I came out of the shower a few minutes later. I was getting changed into a Black Jumpsuit by Elie Saab when I heard a knock on my door, "Come in!" I shouted from my walk-in closet.

"Ms. Cattani, Damiano arrived. He is waiting in your office." Enzo says from the door, loud enough for me to hear.

Since I needed help with the zipper of the jumpsuit, I walked up to were he was, our eyes locking when I got close to him. "Would you mind helping me with the zipper?", I was holding the jumpsuit with my hands so it didn't fall off, "Sure." he says in a deep voice. I turn around, my bare back on full display for him to see. He gulps and takes a step closer to me, his touch was gentle when he put my hair aside, as if he was touching a precious stone and was afraid of damaging it. He zips my jumpsuit with ease and whispers in a low voice as he takes a step back from me, "Done, Ms. Cattani".

I turn around to face him again and I thank him with a small smile. After that he leaves the room, giving me space to finish getting ready.

Once I put on my Loubi Queen Alta shoes to match my outfit, I made my way to my office.

"Lea..." Damiano whispers as soon as I enter the room, he gets close to me and hugs me tightly, "I am so sorry, Lea." he cries.

This is the first time in my life that I've seen Damiano cry, and in that moment I realized that I am not the only one mourning my dad. Damiano lost his best friend and someone he considered to be his big brother.

I hug Damiano tighter, "It's not your fault." I whisper in his ear, my voice coming out hoarse.

"Did you finish with those bastards?" I asked him referring to Morozov's men.

"I did, they payed for what they did." he says satisfied with himself, he released me from his hold and faces me.

"Who pulled the trigger?" I asked him with a cold tone of voice.

"Lea..." for some reason he hesitates and he does not meet my eyes, he opts to look at the ground instead, "Who pulled the trigger that killed my dad, Damiano?" I asked in a calm and authoritative voice.

"Andrei Morozov." he finally says as he looks up at me. "That scumbag..." I whisper and I close my eyes as I take a deep breath.

"And what happened to him?" I asked Damiano once I opened my eyes, "He escaped with some of his men." Damiano answers me, I sigh and nod my head at him in acknowledgement.

Andrei has no idea who he messed up with, but soon he will find out.

"Enzo told me you wanted to talk." I changed the topic since I was curious as to what is the important matter he wanted to discuss.

"Yeah, when I was torturing Morozov's men, they confessed that they knew all along that the necklace was fake and that there was a GPS installed on it. They actually met with the gemologist that same night they stole the necklace." Damiano explains.

"So that means, that the team my dad was working with lied about all the information. Leading you guys to a trap and handing my dad on a silver plater to the Morozov's." I say, surprisingly calm, but rage was starting to form in my chest at this new information that Damiano was providing for me.

"Exactly." he comments, "But that could also mean that the mole knew everything about the necklace beforehand, leaking the information to the Morozov's and working with my dad's Mission Team. All of them plotting against us and leading us to the trap." I say, my brain working at its full capacity trying to figure out how we didn't see that coming, more specifically how Damiano didn't see that coming.

"Have you heard from Niccolo?" I asked suddenly.

Damiano gets confused by my sudden question, "Niccolo?" he raises an eyebrow in wonder and I nod my head at him.

"Uh, I-I don't think I have," he answers my previous question and I sigh at his response.

"Why are you asking for Niccolo?" he asks curiously, "I called him yesterday, so he could help us. But he never showed up," I frown and add, "Francesco and Luca never picked up their phones either".

"Doesn't that seem strange to you?" I asked, it was more of a rhetorical question but he answered me anyway, "Do you think one of them could be th-" he starts to say but I cut him off with a, "Forget it. I must be overthinking".

Damiano nod his head at me, not wanting to think the same thing as I did.

"Anyways," I start, "Make sure to capture the Mission Team that worked with my dad. Do not let any of them escape; question them and if they are not cooperating you know what to do." I order him.

"Once the interrogation is done, I want you to kill them all." I say calmly.

Damiano blinks a few times at my last statement, "You want me to kill them all?" he repeats trying to make sure that he heard me correctly, since I have never given that order to him or anyone.

"Do you have a problem with that?" I challenge him.

"No, ma'am." he says submissively.

"Good, because I am done playing nice." I say in a deadly tone, one that gave Damiano goosebumps and not in a good way.

It is time for people to find out why they call me DN.