♥︎ 2 ♥︎

I sit, cool, calm and collected as six maids style my wavy auburn hair. I've prepared my whole life for this day, but it doesn't feel quite right. I expected at least another year before Mother and Father cornered me into the inevitable, and nowhere in my wildest imaginations did I ever think I would be the one to initiate it.

The maids finish with my hair and help me into my wedding dress. The soft billowing fabric settles around my skin. Tipping my chin up, I allow them to smother me in jewelry that represents my standing in my Court. After all, the Princess of Loam is expected to look her very best for her wedding.

When they've finished pampering me, I have a few minutes of alone time before the ceremony.

I take deep breaths, willing myself to feel something, anything. Nothing happens, and shoulders slump in defeat. A knock on the door draws my attention to Apollo's head peeking through the crack.

"It's time." His voice is soft, almost like he doesn't want to startle me.

I nod, getting to my feet. His eyes move up and down my body, making me feel like I need to do something. I throw my hands out to the sides and give him a little twirl. What I would've done for Gaia if she were here. My hands drop, and I blink back tears, gasping in breaths.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" His voice holds an emotion I can't quite decipher, one that I've never heard before. I like it.

"They're waiting for us, let's go," I say, avoiding his question.

For once, Apollo is silent, offering me his arm. I loop my hand through it and we make our way to the chapel, a small room only used for weddings.

When we arrive, the few people present stand, all eyes on us. We walk slowly to the front of the room, and I compose my features and my emotions. Can't have them messing with things today.

We reach the front of the room and stop, turning to face each other and winding our hands together. Loam's one and only minister steps forward, wrapping an ivy rope around our wrists. I know it's meant to symbolize the unifying of two separate people, but it feels more like being chained.

"Today is a very special day," the minister begins, waving his hands as he speaks. "Today two Courts will be joined in a very special ceremony reserved for the joining of two royal families."

Wait, what?

Apollo sucks in a deep breath like he's digging deep down for courage, and I find myself doing the same. Did he know about this?

"Repeat after me," the minister instructs.  "To bind this marriage, I make this vow. I vow to protect you with my life, to give you my everlasting devotion, my loyalty, my respect, and to put you first above all."

In unison we recite the words. My voice shakes softly, a clue that I'm not as composed as I look. Apollo glances over at me with a small smile. A smile meant just for me.

As we speak, a sage green glow settles over the room. A much needed reminder of the importance of these words. This vow will be sealed by the very core of Extier, and if broken there will be very serious consequences. Marriage is not something to be trifled with in Extier.

The minister drones on about how now, our loyalty now does not just lie with just one Court but two. I'm now a Flarian Princess just as much as a Loamian one. Finally, after an excruciating long monologue about loyalty and devotion, he announces us man and wife.

I know what comes next. The kiss. Although not technically a necessary part of the wedding ceremony, people expect it to be there.

It might seem odd, but Apollo and I have never had romantic moments in the entire time we've been betrothed. We held hands a couple times as young children, that's the extent of our romance. Never kissed. Never did anything else of the sort. I have no idea what it'll be like, and my hands shake in a mix of trepidation and anticipation.