♥︎ 19 ♥︎

Today was a very special day, we were invited to a ball as special guests to celebrate the engagement of Princess Althea, so I woke up to Apollo jumping onto the bed and bouncing me. He was lucky I didn't pull my knife.

I groan and roll, pulling my blankets up over my head. "It's too early for this."

"But I haven't seen you in forever," he sighs, flopping down beside me. I peek out at him with a negativistic look.

"We had dinner together last night."

He lifts up onto his arm to face me with a pout. "You were distracted the whole time." I look away. I can't argue with that. Gaia's still out there. Our trip to Scle was a failure.

"I have a lot on my plate, you know that."

"I'm not saying this is your fault, Princess. I'm just saying I miss you."

My eyes meet his again, and I blush. I don't know why I'm blushing. This is completely normal. Pushing off the bed, I flip my hair off my shoulder and remember this nightgown is almost sheer.

I quickly snatch my robe off the nearby chair, my cheeks heating even further. Apollo chuckles behind me, and I hear him get off my bed.

Throwing my robe over my shoulders, I thrust my arms through the sleeves. It's not soon enough that it's tied tightly around me. Still avoiding Apollo's gaze, I walk to my vanity and pick up my brush. Deep breaths are doing nothing for me.

He steps up behind me, his arms crossed over his chest. Staring at the bottom of the mirror, my fingers fly as I braid my hair.

"Are you... mad at me?" Apollo asks, his voice quiet.

I open my mouth but no words come. "Why would I be mad?" I question once I find the words.

Apollo purses his lips, his hands dropping to his hips. I shift my eyes away again when my lungs constrict. Honestly this man is too beautiful for his own good. Or mine.

"Perhaps you're upset because I woke you up?"

    "Perhaps," I say, dancing around the subject. Apollo huffs, drawing my attention. He rubs the back of his neck, glancing around my room.

    "I can't fix it if I don't know what it is, Calla. Work with me please."

    This gets me defensive. I spin around to face him. "I'm not upset, so you don't need to get upset. I'm just tired and- and- I can't think with you so close and I can't breathe and erghhhhhhhhhh!"

    He steps closer, obviously fighting a smile with his tongue in his cheek. "You're telling me..." he steps closer still, and I move back, hitting the vanity. "That you're having symptoms..." tilting his head towards me, he whispers in my ear, "of attraction?"

    An awkward laugh bubbles up in me, but I shove it down and push him away. Slipping through the space he gives me, I don't say a word.

    I cross my arms over my chest, the last defense I have against his accusations. "Don't avoid the question, love," Apollo nagged in my ear. I flinch away, my shoulders raising to my ears. I don't have to see Apollo to know he has a smug smirk filling his face. Waiting with my back to him for a couple beats, I finally crack.

    "Maybe, I'm attracted to you, but that's improbable. You're horrendous." I hear his chuckle behind me and roll my eyes. "Really?"

    "I knew it! I totally knew it!" He exclaims. He suddenly wraps me in a hug and pulls me off my feet for a second before putting me down and I stumble forward. He sighs and buries his face in my neck, then starts rocking side to side with me still in his arms. I chuckle, setting my hands on top of his.