♥︎ 20 ♥︎

C.O.R.E. member after C.O.R.E. member gives their reports. I settle back in my chair in exhaustion, waiting for the last one to come in. Apollo sets his hand on my thigh, and I cover it with mine.

Bastien walks in, looks at us and mumbles, "I must have gotten the wrong room."

"No, Bastien, you're meant to be here," I answer.

He chuckles. "You must be mistaken, cousin, because I report to the High Queen."

"I spoke to the High Queen today, and she asked me to handle your missions from now on since I have had first hand experience in Scle."

"I see." His brows furrow, and he sets his hands on his hips. "I'm to be reporting to you two from now on?"

"Yes," I confirm. "Now have a seat."

He takes a seat close to the door, positioning it at an angle where he can still see if anyone enters the room. With a sigh, he places his head in his hands. "Did the High Queen explain my mission? Or will I have to do that too?"

    I narrow my eyes. "There was no explanation." Apollo and I share a look, nerves rising in me. "What's going on, Bastien?"

    "I first joined C.O.R.E. right after Octavia became Queen. Her husband, King Demetrius was killed in battle, and Scle dropped off the grid. No one left or entered. Except for C.O.R.E. members. We have a special way of travel, as you know," he smirks. "Anyways, the High Queen sent me to Scle after Gaia's death because Lord Kenmore, Octavia's right hand man, was seen in Aero right before Gaia went missing. I was sent to discover why he was in Aero, get close to Octavia, and just learn anything I could. To say it was revealing is an understatement," he chuckles. Looking up at me, his brows furrow. "You probably don't remember, you were young when King Demetrius died, but Scle used to interact with the other courts. It was before they became an ice court. But something happened near the death of King Demetrius. Something C.O.R.E. wanted to understand.'

    I hold up a hand. "What was Scle like before?"

    He smiles slowly. "It was beautiful. Rolling hills filled with the softest grass. Trees with leaves that changed colors every day. The sky also had the most magnificent colors, never blue, but always some kind of dusky purple color. They say the King's eyes matched it perfectly. And the stars." He hums. "The sky was coated in beautiful stars that glittered like diamonds. It was mesmerizing."

    "It sounds wonderful. What did you learn?"

    He sighs. "This isn't pretty, I'll warn you. But it is true." He pauses, squeezing his eyes shut. "I don't even know where to begin."

    I reach out, setting my hand on his. "Take your time."

    He smiles up at me, his strawberry brown locks falling across his forehead. "Octavia has a daughter, not much older than you. She was stolen after birth, and Octavia has been looking for her ever since. She knew who had stolen her beloved child, but refused to say anything except that Aero was to blame. Lord Kenmore kidnapped Gaia, but she escaped in the Sclian wilderness with little hope of survival."

I gasp. He knew. He knew all this time and never thought to tell me. "You knew she could be alive?"

"Not exactly," he says slowly and winces. "I found out the same night you eavesdropped. Lord Kenmore is positive she's dead. Said she was really badly hurt. I relayed as much to the High Queen, and she decided it was best to leave this information under wraps. If she does make it out, you will be one of the first people to know. I promise."

Tears fill my eyes. I was so close! We were in Scle at the same time, and I never knew it. I won't accept Lord Kenmore's assumption that she's dead. I know she's a survivor. Just like me. "We're going to find her, right?"