♥︎ 5 ♥︎

I frown at the map before me. All the trouble I had to go through to get Ambrose to give me a map that depicts all of Extier and the amount of information we have on Scle is insignificant. How long have the portals been closed? Who closed them and why? I have half a mind just to try and open a door there to see what happens. Or find the Tairsdora that connects our Courts. Would that even work if the portals are closed?

"Princess?" Apollo's voice doesn't help my mood much.

"What?" I bark.

"Are you decent?" He calls through the door, ignoring my sour reply.

"Are you asking about my state of dress or my mood?"

"I'll take that as a yes," he mumbles, and I hear the door open. I turn around to tell him to get out and gasp at his closeness. Our chests brush with each breath, and his eyes sparkle.

"You- you smell weird. Different. Like burning oak, instead of your usual smokey rock smell," I blurt, acting as if I hadn't named his old scent. Burhn

His eyebrows raise in surprise. "You know what I smell like?"

I roll my eyes. "Apollo, you've smelled the same since we were 16. It's not hard to know."

He huffs, folding his arms. "I have not!" I raise my eyebrows incredulously. "Ok fine maybe I have. Which do you prefer?"

"W-what?" I splutter. "Why are you asking for my opinion?"

"You're my wife. Husbands ask their wives for their opinions on things like scents."

I laugh, turning away to continue mapping my route. "Husbands and wives who wanted to be married maybe. Need I remind you that we did not?" Apollo's silent for a few moments, and I turn back around. "Is that all you came for? To ask me for my opinion on your new cologne?"

My question snaps him out of his daze. "No, your parents are wondering when we plan on departing."

"And they couldn't ask me?" I mutter, tracing my finger along the map. "I plan to depart at first light."

I hear him groan. "So early?"

I spin to face him, my skirts flow out and I fold my arms across my chest. "There's not as many people," I state blankly.

He sighs, rubbing a hand across his hair. "I was joking, Calla. Must you turn everything into an argument?"

I huff, throwing my hands out. "Me? I was just stating the obvious. Mother and Father will never let me go if you argue about departure. You're my only hope of going."

"And what are you going to do exactly? Ask everyone if they've seen someone wandering around?" I stare at my wall, desperately trying to bury my growing emotions before they explode out of me. Fingering my Regalia, an image of Gaia appears in my mind. Apollo gasps drawing my attention. He shakes his head vigorously. "No, no you know you won't find her Regalia. It's not possible. It disappears with its owner."

"Have you ever seen it happen?" I ask. "No, you haven't. It's possible I could find it."

"Do you hear yourself?" Apollo scoffs. "You can't go. I won't allow it."

I raise my chin, looking him square in the eye. "You have no say. I'm going and I'm going now. Goodbye Apollo." And I storm out of the room.

Charging through the halls of my childhood home always makes me feel powerful. Especially when servants and citizens drop into a bow or curtsy the second they see me. Thankfully, no one tries to stop me. The guards open the main gates when prompted without a fight.  Stepping out into the bright Loam light, I take a deep breath through my nose. The smell of dirt and leaves and pine fill my lungs, bringing a sense of comfort. Everything will work out.