♥︎ 4 ♥︎

I watch from my perch at the highest table in the ballroom, watching my people dance and eat and laugh. A smile tilts my lips, but drops when Apollo appears at my side.

"Aw, come now wife! You seemed so happy a moment ago, does my presence really sour your mood?"

"Yes," I snap, folding my arms and turning away. "And don't call me wife! I have a name." Apollo smirks, somehow finding amusement in my anger. I scowl, giving him my best glare. "What did you want?"

His face clears, going completely neutral. "The people are wanting us to give them a dance. Not many were allowed at the wedding, and they want to see us happy together, united in a way."

I'm shaking my head before he finishes. "No, absolutely not. I don't dance." You'd know that if you'd been around.

He looks away, his brows drawn. "Calla, we're already going off to Scle, the people need this. If it was for any other reason, I wouldn't be pushing it." My jaw clenches, and I blink back tears. Angry tears. "Come on, Calla," he whispers, pleading with his eyes. Almost like he wants me to say yes. Like he has a personal investment in my answer.

I harden my resolve. "We'll be a united front on our trip to Scle."

"Calla. Please."

"I gave you my answer, nothing you say will—" my eyes meet Father's, and he gives a pointed look at the dance floor. He of all people should understand my avoidance of dancing. I look to Mother, but she only gives me a look that says I'm already cutting you slack in one area. I shove out a breath. "Fine. One dance."

A slow smile curls his lips, and he holds out a hand, bowing slightly. With a resigned sigh, I set my hand in his, standing. We join the others conveniently preparing for a new song, and the people begin to clap. I give them a polite smile, tucking my emotions deep deep down. Resting my hand on Apollo's shoulder I give him a fierce look.

"We are not enjoying this, alright?"

He smirks, leaning down. "Then it's bad I'm already enjoying this?"

"Yes!" I screech quietly, which is insanely difficult to do. "Now stop it."

"Too late," he whispers, grinning. The music starts, and he pulls me closer as we spin around. I glare at him, knowing I can't step back without tripping. We move quickly around the room to the beat. Most Tierians have always loved fast music and dancing. Not me. I hate dancing and try to avoid it when I can.

Apollo spins me out for a twirl, and I stumble, not expecting it. He pulls me back in, tugging me closer yet again. I slap his shoulder, trying to shove away. In response, he wraps his arm tighter around my waist, ending all hope of pulling free. Warmth spreads through my body where he touches me. My back, my arm, my hand. My breaths come shorter and shorter, and I blink, trying to get the spots to disappear.

"Ah Calla," Kingston muttered, shaking his head. "You really thought I could love you?"

The flashback has me shaking.  I thought I was done with these!

I squeeze my eyes closed, stumbling along in whatever direction Apollo leads.

"Breathe, Calla," Apollo's voice whispers in my ear, his warm breath sending shivers down my spine. "Breathe before you pass out and make a scene."

Right. We're in the middle of a ballroom, with people watching on all sides. The thought brings me back down, and I gulp in a breath. He pulls back, and the added space allows me to breathe a little easier.

"Space," I grind out. "I need space."

"Ok ok," Apollo murmurs, and I feel him lead me somewhere cooler. Outside perhaps. He steps away, dropping his arms. I wrap my arms around my waist, trying to breathe my way through this panic attack. "What happened back there?"

I snap my gaze up, unaware Apollo had stayed. His eyebrows are furrowed, and he seems genuinely concerned.

Kingston laughs, a cold cruel sound. "You always saw yourself as superior. You've got powers, wings, immortality, yeah, but I'm the one who's superior," he growls, and my chest burns from the iron necklace chained to my neck. "I've got the power now. You will die by my hand, and no one will care."

Arms wrap around me, and I jump, covering my face. "No no no no no no no. Stop Kingston, don't touch me please."

"Kingston? Calla what's going on? You're as white as a ghost."

Tears stream down my face, and I cowered away from him. "P-please don't. Just- just go away. Please." I drop to the ground, feeling the burn on my chest signaling an emotional overload. I gasp in pain, pulling the hot metal away from my skin and dragging in deep breaths to slow my breathing. I focus on removing the toxic feelings from my body and relaxing.

The metal cools, and I drop my Regalia back into place, wiping the tears off my face. I stand up, surprised when Apollo is right in front of me.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," I sigh.

"Calla, what happened? Who's Kingston?" He demands, folding his arms.

"Nothing, I guess I'm just nervous about my trip. Kingston is no one you need to be concerned about."

"Calla don't do that." He rubs a hand over his face before pointing a finger at me. "Don't shove me out. Whether you like it or not, I'm a big part of your life now. Some things I need to know."

I glance away, hating that he's right. "Kingston is no longer a part of my life. When I was young, he hurt me, but I'm fine now. Everything's fine." I grip my Regalia tightly in my fist, locking the painful memories away.

"You don't seem fine." He steps forward, rubbing my arms. "Let me help, Calla. Please."

"There's nothing you can do!" I snap. "It's in the past, he's gone, and I'll have to live with the memories forever no matter what, so just let it go."

A muscle in his jaw flexes, and I know he wants to push it. I plead with my eyes for him to just let me be. Let the past stay in the past, and move on. Finally, he nods before leaning down and kissing my forehead. "In case anyone is watching," he whispers against my skin. I step back, nodding and rubbing my hands up and down my arms.