♥︎ 23 ♥︎

Stepping into the high ceilinged Sclian dining room, I find Octavia already seated at the long table. A servant places a platter of food on the table before her, and she begins eating. I glance around, curious as to why she was in such a hurry to return.

"You're not welcome here, Freya," Octavia says cooly as if commenting on the weather. I jump, slipping back into the shadows.

Queen Freya scowls, stepping towards the long table. "Take me to my daughter this instant."

"Ah, ah, ah!" Octavia smirks, raising a finger as she leans back in her chair. "I think you're forgetting this is my Court. I make the demands here."

"I'm here on official business from the High King," Freya growls, her hands curling into tight fists. I tuck myself deeper in the shadows to stay hidden.

Octavia laughs, throwing her head back. Shoveling another bite into her mouth, she looks at Freya condescendingly. "You really believe I'm fool enough to fall for that a second time?" She chuckles before her face goes stone cold. "To Deimos with the High King. I want my daughter back. If that means a life for a life?" Octavia pauses, giving Freya a chilling stare. After a second, the Sclian Queen glances down at her food with a shrug. "So be it."

"Make your next move carefully, Octavia," Freya challenges, striding towards her.

Once again, Octavia chuckles. I think she's crazy. "You know, I trusted you once." Her cold mask slips for a second and the vulnerability underneath peeks through before she hardens again. "It's too bad you lost that."

Freya moves forward again, her breathing ragged and frenzied. "Give me back my daughter, Octavia, or so help me I'll—"

"You'll what?" Octavia interrupts. "Kidnapping is equal to death is it not? What would the High King say if he found about your little ward, hm?" Octavia smirks, eyes burning with hatred. I curl into myself a little at the look of it. "Do you know how long it took me to find out that the High King had nothing to do with you taking my daughter? Twenty five years. I'm not letting that happen a second time, dear dear Aunt."

A tiny gasp escapes me, but luckily the two women are so deep in their emotions, neither pay attention to me. Did she just say Queen Freya is her Aunt? That's what her little story was all about. She was warning me about Freya. But why?

Freya growls, little blue sparks flickering around her clenched fists. "You're not worthy to be a Queen."

"No. You're not worthy to be a Queen." Octavia leans closer, setting her hands on the table top. "And when the world learns of your deception, that title will be stripped from you. So... I'll ask this once and only once. Where is Demia?"

Freya lifts one perfect eyebrow. "Take me to Gaia, and I will happily return your daughter. She's a failure just like you."

Octavia throws out her hands, rising out of her chair. "Does it look like I'm a failure? You're the one who lost the title of High Queen. I am a relatively young Queen with a thriving Court. You on the other hand. Deimos is about ready to collect you. So, thank you. I'm pleased my daughter is successful." Her eyes flash, as she leans in to place her palms flat against the table. "Believe me when I say, I will stop at nothing until my daughter is returned to her rightful place. And if you harm her, a life for a life."

"My daughter first." Freya folds her arms and tilts her head. "I'll wait."

Octavia smiles. "I don't have her," she says, punctuating each word before settling back into her chair and taking a bite of food.

"Liar!" Freya accuses. "There's been reports of her in Scle."

Octavia winces like Freya burned her. "That is correct. Lord Kenmore, my previous right hand man, tried to bring her to Scle, but failed. He was punished accordingly."

"Punished for what, exactly?"

Before Octavia can answer, a door opens and guards pour out of it. Aeryan guards. Octavia grits her teeth, raising both hands in an attack. Just as she flicks her wrist with an enchantment, someone grabs me from behind, draggin me through a door.

The second they release me, I whirl on them. "What were you thinking?!"

Apollo huffs, folding his arms across his broad chest. "It was about to get dangerous, and knowing you, you would have charged right in without a care for the effects it would have on the Court."

I sigh, placing my hands atop my head and leaning back against the wall. "Those soldiers..." Standing straight up, I give Apollo a distressed look. "This means war."