♥︎ 7 ♥︎

As another round of thunder rolls through the air, I curl tighter into myself. We never get storms like these in Loam. Never.

One more crack of thunder has me whimpering. Apollo bursts through the door like he was waiting by the door for me to cry out. Sitting up, I raise an eyebrow.

"What are you doing?"

"I- I thought you were having a nightmare." He doesn't have to say it, but we both know what he's thinking.

"No, just not used to these storms." I shiver as light flashes outside, signaling more thunder.

"They can be hard to get used to. Luckily, I'm an expert." He winks at me, asking with his eyes if he can come closer. I nod, running my fingers through my hair.

"What makes you an expert?" I ask, scooting over, so he has room on my bed.

"They happen all the time in Flare. Isn't it amazing how something so dangerous can be so beautiful?" His eyes lock on mine, and I get the feeling he isn't talking about the weather. Inside me, emotions conflict. Part of me wants to take the leap and slide closer to him, while the rest of me is convinced he's still the enemy. Yet, for whatever reason, I ignore the second part of me, and slip closer to him when thunder booms again. He wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me even closer.

"Wait, shouldn't you be steering the ship?" I lay my head on his chest, peace filling the air.

"I enchanted the ship to keep course no matter the weather. We'll be fine." Sighing, I relax more fully against him. Maybe having someone else in my life will be nice. And before long, the loud booming thunder with flashes of light didn't seem so daunting.

"Tell me a story. Please," I whisper, afraid any loud or sudden noises will ruin the moment. At least, I think we're having a moment.

"Once upon a time, there was a little boy. This boy, he was an ambitious little fella. Always climbing things, fighting anything he could. He imagined becoming a knight in his mind, imagined fighting off dragons and trolls. Until one day, he met the prettiest girl in the world. Many fought for this maiden's attention, and the only way the boy thought he could get her to notice him was to do something amazing.

"So, he set off to find a challenge that if the beautiful maiden watched him perform, he'd for sure be an equal in her eyes. His gaze latched onto a tall, ornate well. Of course, he didn't know it was a well, only that it was very high off the ground. With a set determination, he began climbing higher and higher. Before long, the ground was too far away for him to jump down, and his fingers and arms ached from the exertion. The feat began to draw attention, and people gathered beneath him to watch. With tired arms, the boy climbed the last bit, settling on top of the well.

"He waved excitedly at the gorgeous maiden who drew his fancy, and with the jerky movement, the boy fell into the well."

I gasp, recognizing this story.

"Down, down, down, he went into the cold dark well. Outside the people who were watching screamed, and cried out in fear. The boy imagined them scrambling around, trying to figure something out. He dropped his head to the ground, knowing there was no way out until he felt something grab his arm. Suddenly, he was moving up, up, up, and he flew through the top of the well into the light. And much to his surprise, it was an angel that saved him. Their white wings beating fiercely against the air to carry them both. The angel brought them safely to the ground, and again the boy was surprised to see it wasn't an angel, but the fetching maiden who had saved him. Before the boy could thank her, he was whisked away by his worried parents, and he never had the opportunity to thank her again." Apollo ends the story with a deep sigh, a sound that sounds like it's been held hostage for a long time.