♥︎ 12 ♥︎

I grasp Apollo's arm, staring at the tiny flame of a torch at the door. He sets his hand on mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze just as the door clangs open, and a man steps into the room. The scars lining his face are altered by the shadows dancing around him, adding a scary effect to his features.

"Come with me," he demands.

I stay put, waiting for Apollo to make the first move. When neither of us shift, the man gets impatient.

"I said move." He reaches to grab my wrist, and Apollo shoves him back.

"Don't touch her," he spits.

"I'm in charge here. I do what I want."

Apollo opens his mouth to respond, but three more men march into the cell.

I glance around the room as my mind races for a way out of this. All thoughts freeze when Apollo punches the first man, and the three backup men rush to grab him. I shake my head and step back.

Why do men always think fighting is the solution to every problem?

I wait for my opportunity, and just as the first man goes for an uppercut, I lunge forward and grab Apollo. I squeeze my eyes closed and focus on slowing time. When I open them, I find the man's fist right beneath Apollo's chin.

Well, that was close.

I release Apollo, and run, dragging him behind me through the tunnel. We get three steps out the door when Apollo pulls me back.

"We can't see a thing, might as well take one of the torches, Calla," he whispers. I nod, focusing on keeping time frozen while he leads me back to our captors. He takes one man's torch before knocking him gently off balance so when time returns, he topples into the next man.

I roll my eyes at his childishness, and tug him back towards the door. We take our time through the winding corridors, taking care to keep our hands clasped together. The second I'm not touching him, time will whip back into place.

"Apollo, what's the longest amount of time you've held off time?" I ask, glancing up at him. He looks down at me, and my cheeks heat before I look away.

"Maybe an hour, why? Is your hold slipping? I can take over if you need me too."

I squeeze his hand, shaking my head. "Thank you, but I was just curious." He squeezes my hand back.

We run, and we run, and we run. My lungs feel like vices, and my shins are beginning to throb, but I keep pushing. All around us, Tierians are frozen in various positions. If I wasn't running for my life, it would be quite comical.

A light at the end of the cave appears, and a breathless laugh escapes me. Before we can reach it, I drop to my knees, with a scream. My head feels like a searing knife is being shoved into my skull. I grab it, trying to ease the pain in any way I can.

I hear shouts of surprise and anger, but they quickly fade away.

"Poor, weak, little creature..."

No. Deimos is wrong. I am not weak. I am not going to let anyone tell me who I am anymore. I am strong. I am Calla, Crown Princess of the Court of Loam.

Gritting my teeth, I push to my feet. Opening my eyes, I see Apollo's shocked face, inches from mine.

"How did you— I'm not— you shouldn't— what?" He asks, breathless.

"What?"

"Calla, I'm freezing time. You shouldn't be able to move."

My eyes lock on his worried ones, and I smile. "I'm stronger than you think."

His face breaks into a smile, and he runs a hand through his hair. "Yes, yes you are, my love."

My cheeks burn at his compliment, and I duck my head. He touches my chin lightly, lifting my head so my eyes meet his. Our gazes lock, and everything fades away. It's just me and him. Him and me. Us.

They say gold is lucky, but I've never thought there was anything lucky about having Apollo's golden gaze capturing mine. Until today. I'm the luckiest girl in the world because this wonder of a man calls me his wife. And whether I like it or not, he still holds my heart in his hands.

I gasp at the thought. No, this is just our past, our history. All that thinking of what we used to be is just making me nostalgic, that's all. I'm not still in love with Apollo. That's just- no.

"Shall we?" He asks, extending his arm. He doesn't know. Can't even tell that the world I've always known has dropped away, and I'm falling.

I nod, wrapping my hand around his bicep. My mind races as I try to shove all of these feelings away before he notices them. He can't know. He just can't.

We walk slowly to the door of the cave. Stepping out into the light, my eyes widen.

"Woah..." I breathe, all my worries fading away as I stare at the beautiful way the light of the stars reflect on icy foliage around us.

Wait. Those aren't stars, they're sprites.

I raise one hand, clicking my tongue twice against the roof of my mouth. In one huge cloud, the sprites swarm away from me.

"Wait, no I need you!"

Catch us if you can, Princess.

I freeze, my eyes widening. "Did you just- did I just hear you- can you read minds?"

We can't read minds, but we can speak to them. Our voices are too high for most Tierians to hear us, unless it is their gift.

"Oh, well, I need your help."

We cannot help you unless you help us.

With that, the swarm of sprites takes to the sky again. "Wait! I'll help you!" I call to them.

Then catch us if you can.

"Fine," I growl, snapping out my hand to grab Apollos. Freezing time with a half a thought, I pop out my wings before realizing that will release my hold on time. 

"Calla, what are you doing? We need to get out of here." Apollo. I had forgotten about him. I hold up our joined hands, giving them a pointed glance. His eyes widen with understanding, and he nods. "I'll hold it for you."

I grin at him, taking off into the air to catch the troublesome sprites. Cupping my hands, I scoop one out of the air and tumble towards the ground as Apollo releases the time freeze. Dropping down onto the ground, a brilliant flash of light fills the air.

You impress me, Princess. You are the first to access Quinlego. Where would you like to be transported?

My brows furrow before the confusion clears. "You're the Sclian Tairsdora," I breathe.

You are correct. Is there something you're seeking?

"Princess, you better not be making a bargain with the sprites. They're notorious for-"

I lift my chin, drowning out whatever Apollo was saying. "Yes."