The Library

As I had mentioned earlier, I am now a 5th year student here. I was not given a time limit on how long it had to take to get Draco to "the good side", so for the first year or two that I was here, I really wasn't worried about him. I was more worried about trying to fit into this house with the other Slytherins. I'd watch their body language, especially when they would be talking to another house. They almost always had a look of disgust on their faces, which I think I can manage pretty well considering I have always been told I have an RBF (resting bitch face). 

I have learned to spend a little less time in the library than I normally would, as to make me NOT look like I fit into another house, and instead to just read my current books in my room and practice my skills on my own. I also would try to talk with others to learn more information, rather than shoving my nose into a book like a Gryffindor or a Ravenclaw would do. I have changed my vocabulary. Younger Eleanor would not have cussed, probably ever. Now, I feel like I have a sailor's mouth. It's all part of the act, and I guess I have just gotten used to playing the part. 

The first time I met Draco Malfoy was at Quidditch. I loved Quidditch and was so excited to start playing. He had already been a Seeker before and was trying out for that position again, but so was I. I am fast, I am a quick learner, and I am very competitive. Not only is this Draco Malfoy I was competing against for this spot, but I also wanted to be the one that could win the entire game with one catch of the Snitch. 

Of course little-old-me back then chickened out and practically let Draco have that position again. I didn't want him hating me so soon when I was supposed to be the one to help him later in the years. He made fun of me for the first couple of practices but then he got over it when I got to play Keeper. We played Quidditch for the rest of the year with little to no problems between us. I always played nice of course, even when he would shout "mudblood" at me. 

~~~

Now it's present time, and I am on my way to the library to see my sister - or um, half sister. I feel as though she resented me somewhat over the years for being in Slytherin. But the part that breaks my heart is that she doesn't know WHY. She can't know why. Hermione seemed to hide it well that she may be bitter towards me. She'd give me a soft smile as we pass each other through the halls, but that was all. No warm greetings like we used to share anymore. It was all business. I couldn't let her know why I seemed to have "changed" over the past number of years.

"Ah.. the library." A sigh of relief escapes my lips as I come up on the entrance. This was one of the only places I could sit with my sister in peace and gossip and read together. Because let's face it, how many Slytherins really come to the libra- 

As I was mid-thought, Hermione came running up to my left and had crashed into me with a handful of books. I was propelled to my right, only to be knocked right into the Draco Malfoy. 

As he slowly turned to see what had ruined his conversation with the people in front of him, I stood up and composed myself, adjusted my robes and skirt (I was never much of skirt person but it's part of the uniform, ya know?), and said "Sorry Malfoy." That's all you can say dimwit?

He just stared at me with those gray eyes until he finally said "Just watch where you're going next time.. Mudblood." He just HAD to add that last word in. 

I faced Hermione now and strutted to the back of the library as she followed me while muttering "Sorry Elle... Sorry" under her breath the whole way. She shouldn't have had so many damn books in her arms to block her view in front of her. Of course, I was not going to tell her that to her face as that would just further prove to her that I was meant to be a Slytherin all along.

As we arrived at our usual table, I inquire about why there are so many Slytherins in the library today. "So many" as in I only saw Malfoy, Blaise, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle. But they were all together. Why was this the place to be? 

Hermione assured me "This is just where they've been hanging out recently. Have you not noticed? They are in your house!" 

Yes they are in my house. And she was right. How could not notice Draco Malfoy...