Buffet

I didn't mention what had happened in detention with anyone. Well I had babbled a little with Iris about it. But I would for sure NEVER tell Hermione or the gang about it. Hermione would just keep questioning and questioning me until I die, wondering what Draco had meant by 'I like your attention, too.'

Hermione and her friends had always hated Draco. Since the day they had arrived at Hogwarts, she would tell me how mean and crude he was. How he introduced himself on the first day and made fun of Ron and his robes. And how it seemed like he was always in competition with Harry somehow. I just think Draco has always been looked down upon for being a Malfoy, so he has to bring others down to feel superior. But I wouldn't dare share that with Hermione. 

With Iris, I felt that she understood me better as a Slytherin, because there's no way that I could tell Hermione about Draco. When I had told Iris about the situation that had happened in detention, of course she went "ooooh" like a little school girl. And we both wondered what that could mean. Does he just like picking on me in particular? Or does it mean something more? Whatever the reason may be, there's a chance it could be good for getting to know him better.

I was always confused about how I was supposed to go about helping him. He wasn't someone that accepts friends into his life too easily. He has to be the one to pick you. So how was I supposed to get on his good side and find the good Draco Malfoy in there? Now growing up, however, I realized that boys' hormones are raging right now. So then I wonder, am I supposed to pretend to be interested in him? Would that get him to open up to me? I'm not sure that would be too believable: someone that didn't belong in Slytherin to be fond of such a hated person. But we would just have to find out.

~~~

For most of the next week, Draco was no where to be found. Surely, he was still at Hogwarts right? I'm sure he hadn't gotten expelled or anything because I would have heard about it. Pansy would have been sobbing about it all week at least.

Speaking of Pansy, she's been trying to make my life a living hell. She's been trying to spread ludicrous rumors about me, like that I would eat the Hippogriff's shit for fun, which I don't think anyone at the school is believing. She'd prank me by having fireworks explode from the toilet seat when I went to the restroom. It's a good thing I didn't get physically hurt or else I'd really have to show my Slytherin side. 

Without Draco to bother me all week, Cedric took it upon himself to make daily conversations with me again. He'd meet me in the hallways after some classes and walk me to my next class. My mind had been racing all week so it was a pleasant feeling to have a kind boy that wants to talk to me around. One that didn't call me names.

On Friday, dinnertime finally came around. Per usual, I was starving. I plop down next to Iris. The buffet hadn't appeared in front of us yet, so I spoke to her a few minutes.

"Have you heard anything from Malfoy?" she asked me. I shook my head no. No one had seen him all week, still.

As Professor Dumbledore stepped up to the podium, all the students settled in their seats. 

"Good evening, students. It's the end of another great week. Let me start by-" He was interrupted by the doors of the Great Hall opening. 

Peering over the top of people's heads, I noticed a blonde mane headed towards the Slytherin table. "Sorry, Professor." The mane had a voice. I recognized the voice. Yep, Draco was back, making an entrance as usual. 

He sat across the table from me and to my left, next to Crabbe and Goyle.. and of course pug-face was awaiting his grand arrival with the cheesiest grin on her flat face. 

Professor Dumbledore nodded and continued. "I want to make aware that the Yule ball will be here before we know it, and if anyone would like to volunteer to assist the plans for it, come see me during dinner." He continued to ramble on a few minutes longer. 

I was looking at Draco. Those beautiful gray eyes hadn't looked up from the empty plate in front of him. His elbow rested on the table, his hand holding up his head from the jaw. I could see he was here, physically, but mentally he seemed to be somewhere else. Without lifting his head, he glanced at me, making eye contact, and then focused back on the plate in front of him. Professor Dumbledore soon finished speaking, and magically, our buffet of food appeared on the table. Kids began to dig in. 

I scooped some sort of casserole onto my plate and reached for a ham and cheese sandwich. My focus was still mostly on Draco. It doesn't seem he had moved to get anything to eat. I could hear Pansy trying to make conversation with him, probably trying to get in his pants tonight since she'd missed him so much this week. But I could tell he wasn't having it. 

"Eleanor?" I heard Iris next to me. 

"Yes?" 

"I asked if you could pass me some sprouts, you dimwit." She repeated herself, which I didn't even hear the first time around. And I knew she didn't mean it when she called me a dimwit. It didn't bother me as much as seeing Draco like this - so down about whatever was on his mind. 

~~~

Leaving dinner, Draco had hesitantly gotten up from the table, so there weren't many people leaving all at once. Since Pansy and friends had already left (I was surprised she left without Draco), I followed him out. 

"Malfoy." I called from behind him. He stopped at once and spun to face me.

"What do you want?" His cold tone sent a chill down my spine. 

"You seem down. What is wrong with you?" I could feel my lip quiver as I said that. Was I scared to talk to him? Surely not.

He scowled at me as if he was surprised I was talking to him. "It's none of your fucking business, Mudblood." He hissed at me. Ah, deja vu. 

"But what if it is?" I jut in as he was turning away. "I'm just trying to help. Sorry you don't see it that way." Only a second or two passed by after I finished that sentence. When he didn't respond immediately, I turned away, not letting him get a word in if he wanted to. I had to leave him wanting my help.