Common Room

I sat in the common room of Slytherin. I loved to people watch, and there were a lot of people to watch at this very moment. Some 1st and 2nd years practicing innocent little spells with each other at the large round table, trying to make their pets turn into inanimate objects. Other students are opening their mail from home. And some others were huddled in groups. Draco was in one of these groups.

I was propped up sideways in one of the large chairs, with my legs hanging over the sides of the arm rest. I was just wearing some dark green and black plaid pajama pants and a gray sweatshirt. Nothing too fancy, but I wanted to be comfortable before bed. I had a lap full of chocolate frogs; I was a sucker for chocolate. 

There he was. Draco Lucius Malfoy. He was with his usual friend group. Crabbe and Goyle. Blaise and Pansy. Ha. Pansy Parkinson. She was quite literally obsessed with him. Wherever he went, she went. Whatever classes he was taking, she was right there with him. She never stops talking to him. She'd go to the boys' bathroom to watch him piss or take a shit if she were allowed. 

"What are you doing, Eleanor?" I whip my head around to the chair next to me to see the only real friend I've made in Slytherin. She was a tall girl, with a darker complexion and the most beautiful curly hair. I'll admit that I have always been jealous of her healthy locks. 

"Iris. I was going to come look for you soon." She had interrupted my people watching - my Draco watching. He was still stuffed up in a corner talking to Pansy. Or should I say, Pansy wouldn't let the other boys speak. She was so caught up in trying to converse with Malfoy that Crabbe and Goyle had no say in whatever they were talking about.

"C'mon. I can see you want to gossip Eleanor. What's on your mind?" Iris was very persistent. She would not stop until she got her way, and she would do anything to get her way, even if it was as simple as getting me to answer a personal question such as 'What's on your mind?'. I guess that's one thing that made her a Slytherin.

I leaned over to her to talk, even though I know the group couldn't hear me over the rest of the chatter in the common room. I had caught Draco glancing over at me a few times - he probably just remembered me from the library - but I did not want him to look over and be able to read my lips. 

"I was just looking at how annoying that slut must be next to Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy looks like he doesn't give two shits about anything she is saying." We chuckled. 

"Yeah, I don't see how she gets around to so many of the guys around here, especially when she's always around blondie."

"She's probably passing so much shit around this school, you better be careful who you mess around with, Iris." I give her that 'I'm watching you' kind of stare. She punched my arm for that. I guess that's what I deserved for almost calling her a slut too. Oh well, it's all fun and games. 

I look over to see Draco giving me a stare I hadn't seen from him before. It was like a stare you give when you zone out from a conversation, and just pick something to stare at. Except he was purposely staring at someone. Me. 

I stand up from my chair, gather my chocolate frogs and that was the end of it. I did not want to face him anymore. Not tonight at least. We will have to try again in class tomorrow. Maybe I can get the courage to have a normal conversation with him for the first time in a while. 

I scurried up to my room, locked up my chocolate frogs, and blew out the snake shaped candle by my bed.