Irresistible

"You.. You're..." I struggle to grasp my own words. 

"A Death Eater. Yes.." He finishes my sentence, slowly pulling his sleeve back down. I can hear disappointment in his voice. 

"How did this happen?"

He looks up at me. "What do you mean how did this happen? I was born into in Eleanor." His tone was filled with frustration. He spun around to lean against the cabinet and sulk. "I'm a fucking Death Eater..." He repeats with even more heartbreak in his words. 

"You work for him.." I hesitantly say. "Is that what all this secrecy has been? This sneaking around? This change of attitude?" 

"Yes." He replies. A man of many words, I thought. We stood in silence for what felt like forever. I saw a tear trickle down his cheek, but I did not acknowledge it. 

Suddenly, I recalled a conversation I had had with Iris. "Did you hex Katie Bell?"

He turns his head where I could see him. "It was an accident. She was not meant to get hurt the way she did."

"It was meant for Dumbledore wasn't it?" He nods. Things are beginning to make sense now - to an extent. 

"Eleanor. I'm a terrible, shitty person. I'm sorry for what I've done to you." He twists himself around to face me again, slowly approaching me. I instinctively take a step back. He stops in his tracks. "Eleanor."

"Don't touch me right now." I say with a shaky breath. "Why are you telling me this? Why am I caught in the middle of this? Why me?"

He waited with his thoughts for a moment before answering. I could see his gleaming gray eyes looking me all around. They had little to no twinkle in them. They were just blank - almost lifeless. "You've caught my eye for a long time. Ever since you first sat down at the Slytherin table I was in awe." I furrow my brows and let him continue. "I couldn't believe a Granger had been put in Slytherin, so I was skeptical of you. Over time, you have become so intriguing that I couldn't resist you."

"You and your friends have tormented me for how many years now?" I interrupt.

"I never believed the insults. In all honesty.. I only insulted you as a way to talk to you. As a way to get you to talk to me." My face showed him that I didn't believe that at all. "Eleanor, you were the only person that never seemed afraid of me, never seemed bothered by me. Your smile always left me gasping for air. Watching you in class has been the highlight of my days through the years. And here recently, I'm captivated with how you've been reacting to the others that bully you. You are one of the strongest girls I know.. And so beautiful..." He let his words drift away. 

I had no idea how to respond to any of that. I was flattered, of course, but it was all a shock. It was a lot of information to take in at once. Information that I was not expecting to come out of Draco Malfoy's mouth. He inched closer to me, expecting me to forgive him. Expecting something kind out of me. 

"I have to go, Malfoy." I grasp the cloak in my fists. I spin on my heels before he can get another word in. I hear him say my name as I make my way towards the exit, but I don't turn around. I feel a tear run down my cheek and quickly wipe it away. 

~

After exiting the Room of Requirement, I maze my way through the halls, trying to find my way back to the dungeons. My quick pace came to a halt when my body ran into a tall chest, sending me flying backwards to the ground. 

"Where are you off to in such a hurry, Granger?" A familiar monotone voice emerges. 

Looking up, I find Snape gaping down at me. I stand and adjust my clothes and my posture. "Sorry Professor. I was just heading back to the dorms."