e l e v e n

11

Hypothesis; becoming friends with the friends of the subject means progress towards my goal

Check in on her? She was the one who decided to detach herself from her daughter after everything that happened

Check in on her? She was the one who decided to detach herself from her daughter after everything that happened. She decided to turn to drugs for comfort and me? I was left to fend for myself and her needs.

I scored straight A's at school, strived to have great recommendations from teachers, ignored all the bullying I received for having a drug addict of a mother and bagged a scholarship in highschool. All by myself. And she was worried about me checking on her?

Loud cheering from the students gathered round the basketball court in the school's stadium snapped me out of my thoughts. Beside me, someone jumped out of their seat, hitting my arm in the process and whacking me back into reality.

The reality where Chanelle was seated a few rows behind, clad in all black and glaring at me like I was a sausage she wanted to fry. To her left, Carol had her attention buried in the game while to her right, Cherry was typing furiously on her phone.

"Focus," Chanelle mouthed to me, pointing towards the game.

I frowned and faced forward, towards the game, but my mind still hovered around my mom. I'd transferred the money to her this morning as promised and she'd sent me an "I love you" in reply. While I should have been happy about her showing some emotion towards me, I'd been here before. It took a lot of unfulfilled promises for me to realize that she loved me only when she got something from me.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I exhaled and tried to focus on the game. Honestly, I didn't know the first thing about basketball. I didn't even know why I'd agreed to come here when I had an unfinished art project waiting for me in the hostel.

Oh wait, I did; for money.

We were over fifteen minutes into the second half of the game and by the scoreboard, our team was really kicking the other teams asses. My gaze easily found Daniel. He moved swiftly across the pitch, easily bouncing the ball around, dribbling and making smooth passes while the opposing team struggled to gain possession.

Daniel signalled towards the dark-haired guy on his team who, in turn, moved forward into the scoring circle. After faking a pass to another of his teammates to distract the guy marking him, he passed the ball to the dark haired guy who made a clear shot through the hoop.

The students erupted in cheers again but in the corner, the other team's coach tossed his clipboard to the ground and cursed at some of his players. The sight almost made me chuckle but I settled with a smile before focusing my gaze on Daniel.

He seemed to be scanning the crowd now. Even before his eyes locked on mine, I knew it was me he was looking for.

I couldn't resist the smile that came on my face when he smiled and waved at me. A few students turned to see who Daniel Brighton was giving so much attention to. The girl in front of me turned around in her seat, lifting a single brow and scanning the fuck out of me.