s i x t e e n

16

Hypothesis; To earn some space, you must know your place.

My car died again. This time around, I had a feeling that it was for good. I also had a feeling that Daniel would be very happy about this improvement. To think I'd just repaired it.

Today was the first day in a long while that I'd begun without my chocolate latte and all of it was no thanks to Chanelle. She'd shown up, banging on our door at six thirty this morning and as soon as Carol had opened it, she'd stormed in and ripped off my blanket from around me.

All my efforts to ignore the ruckus had been killed in that one instant and I'd sat up, swearing death on sight. But as soon as I saw who it was, I just settled for curses.

"You have one week left, Noah," she'd said. Her lips were coated with a nude matte lipstick and my brain was coated with exhaustion. I'd spent the night before adding the finishing touches to the portrait of my dad I was painting so now, all I had to do was turn it in.

"One week to do what?"

Stupid question, but at that time, my brain was too tired to care.

I could literally see the smoke leaving Chanelle's ears when she replied, "one week to get Daniel back into my arms, you nitwit!"

That had kicked my brain right into gear. The first words that left my lips were, "Oh shit." Followed by a more relaxed, "Actually, it's a week and four days."

Chanelle hadn't found my words funny, and now, tugging a bag of decorations into Daniel's apartment, I was beginning to see why. I had exactly one week—and less than four days—to get Daniel to fall for me or else, I could begin kissing twenty five grand goodbye.

"Come on, Freshman. I'm sure those muscles aren't for nothing," Daniel teased me, wearing a stupid smirk. I didn't like the effect he was having on me so I huffed and heaved the plastic sack of decorations over my shoulder.

"Fuck you, Daniel," I sneered at him, earning myself a chuckle. The grocery bag swung forward and back as he led me to his apartment door. "How come I get the heavier bag and you get to carry chocolate and butter around?"

He bit his lip, suppressing another laugh while I tried to extinguish him with my glare. "No reason. I didn't even think you'd make it this far without your arms popping off." While I was still recovering from the after effects of his audaciousness, he stopped to smile at a man who was heading towards us. "Hi, Mr Albert."

The man, who looked in his seventies, greeted him back with a smile. "Great job with the fan, Daniel. It's as good as new."

I watched with wide eyes as the two hugged and Daniel smiled fondly. "It's no problem."

Mr Albert turned his gaze to me and simply smiled then turned back to Daniel. "You shouldn't let your girlfriend carry the heavy stuff. It's not very gentlemanly."