2 - Fatal eclipse

Meanwhile, in a place far faraway

The Director of external affairs stepped into the large oval shaped office with its highly polished floor, trying not to let his tension show. His superior was waiting at the far end of the room, his back turned.

«Commander, we have received reports of movement in the observation zone.» the Director conveyed. «It seems that all the information we have coincide and the situation would appear to be... rather disturbing.»

«Disturbing, you say?» the Commander answered calmly, without turning around and continued to contemplate the star studded sky from the vast windows. «Change is coming, that is true, but that will not necessarily have a negative effect on us. However, there could be a delay in obtaining ulterior knowledge from the people that we keep under observation.»

The Director appeared somewhat perplexed. Reflected in the glass window, the Commander saw a doubtful expression cross his subordinate's face, realizing that he needed to explain more clearly he proceeded «As you well know there is no way that we can correct past mistakes. Nevertheless, this new situation could actually turn to our advantage.»

«With all due respect Sir,» the Director nervously replied, «from our more recent information, according to the profiles that we have drawn up and the scenarios offered by consulting a probability calculator, the results show that the scientist in possession of the various devices could actually be capable of using his knowledge.»

«Carry on...»

«So we have reason to believe that, in a situation of extreme danger, if he felt threatened, he would use everything in his power to protect his work and would not hesitate therefore to reveal it.»

«I see your point.» the Commander slowly turned around.

«It is a possibility, but on the plus side we are absolutely certain that the device in his hands is useless.»

The Director nodded, not very convincingly. «Yes, that's true, but the other equipment... ...»

The Commander interrupted him: «How many devices, would you say, have already reached public domain? We are already responsible for these, we cannot remedy the situation. We can only monitor it.» Then he directed his gaze back to the stars beyond the glass, and continued the conversation.

«And what if our scientist found himself trapped, would he destroy everything rather than see his work fall into enemy hands?»

«According to our estimations,» the Director answered shaking his head, «based on the strengths and weaknesses of the adversary, on his character profile and statistics, there is only an infinitesimal possibility that that could happen.»

The Commander sighed, straightening his shoulders. «We'll see, we'll see. In any case whatever happens we shall not intervene, as we have already chosen not to and as it must always be.»