8 - The dark side of the moon

Even though Moses was used to handling impossible situations in his job and, although unpredictable scientific discoveries still amazed him despite the recent incidents, he wasn't prepared for the wave of emotions that Stephanie's words provoked

He had only just confronted the pain, the sorrow and the fear attached to his grandson's disappearance and now, in his kitchen, a young girl with a sweet but frightened face was asking for his help and collaboration in tracking down Roy on behalf of an ancient alien race

The scientist was caught completely unprepared for such an unexpected request. Could Stephanie really be in contact with aliens and did they genuinely know something about his grandson's demise? Or was it the umpteenth sick joke, another elaborate trap concocted by the evil powers determined to extract the secrets that he guarded? Hope and suspicion alternated in a continuous loop, overlapping in his mind without one prevailing over the other.

In an attempt to overcome the confusion that he felt, and without taking his stunned gaze off Stephanie, Moses staggered backwards, fortunately finding the chair's backrest to cling onto.

«You...» he said with difficulty, « You're in contact with aliens?»

Although the girl comprehended the scientist's confusion, she had to gain his trust, and she had to do it fast. There wasn't time for too many explanations, all she could do was try to arouse his curiosity.

«Yes, Professor. Actually, in a certain sense, I am one of them.»

«So you're an alien?» said Moses, furrowing his thick eyebrows and narrowing his eyes, in suspicion.

«No, no, I can assure you that I'm a terrestrial, just like you. But that's not important right now, Professor.» Stephanie moved towards him pleadingly. «We have to leave as quickly as possible, you've got to trust me. You'll get all the answers you're looking for and together we'll have more probability of finding Roy!»

«Do you know what's happened to Roy?» pressured Moses.

«All that I know is that something happened to one of our travel devices» Stephanie said firmly, «but if you come with me, now, I'll take you to someone who can help us shed light on the whole thing!»

The scientist wasn't completely convinced by the girl's words.

«Your friends... Your people want to find Roy, or do they just want to get their hands on that device?»

«If I was on your assailant's side, I could have made my move earlier. I could have taken Roy hostage, long before the attack broke out, couldn't I?»

Moses wavered. The girl's argument did have its own logic.

«Maybe I should trust you... and what do you think I should do?»

Stephanie began to hope in his cooperation.

Roy Rocket - Beyond infinityOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara