9 - Close encounters

Arriving at destination was far more traumatic this time around

Arriving at destination was far more traumatic this time around. Roy felt an overwhelming sense of nausea and was helplessly dizzy. He fell over, badly hitting his head on the ground; and as everything around him became confused Roy lost consciousness for a few seconds. He came round to the sound of muffled voices all talking at the same time, after a while he managed to distinguish one, louder than the others which seemed to be calling him, albeit distorted due to an irritating echo.

Bit by bit the words became more distinct until the teenager recognized Smogghel's unmistakable voice calling his name.

«Roy! Roy! Get up! Everything ok?» now Roy could hear the alien clearly, Smogghel's voice dominating the animated buzzing going on in the background.

The youth felt himself being lifted up and only then realized that his eyes were still shut. He tried to open them but the effort alone provoked intense stabs of pain in his temples, so much so that it took several attempts before he managed to keep even one eye open.

«Hey, boy! Can you hear me! Do you recognize me?» Smogghel's blurred snout, was the first thing that came into Roy's view.

«What manners! You can't just pass in front like that! Can't you at least get out of the way? You're blocking the queue!»

«Hurry up, we don't have all day! Get a move on will ya?» several unfamiliar voices rang out in the teenager's ears.

«Well, are you moving or not?» he heard the voices demanding nervously.

«Ok, ok, we're going, what's the rush dammit!» said Smogghel, propping Roy up. «C'mon, boy, do you think you can walk?»

«W-What?» Roy slurred. He could nearly focus on Smogghel's snout, and the sharp pains in his head had started to ease.

«We've got to move forwards, we're in the registration queue» said the alien, still propping him up. Roy tried to move forwards, but his legs struggled to take even a few small, painstaking steps.

«Registration of wha...» The teenager looked around for the first time in order to try and understand where they were.

A heterogeneous crowd of aliens was teeming behind them, and others were advancing in front of them, all forced towards a narrow passage closed in on both sides by a very high orange colored wooden fence making it impossible to see anything on the other side. Roy lifted his head up and established that he was outside, the clouds in the sky were similar to those on Earth, even if they were a sort of particular shade of green. He looked more closely ahead and noticed that the passage which they were being channeled into headed straight towards an imposing building which reminded him of an enormous amphitheater, surrounded by lush vegetation.

If it hadn't been for the multiform appearance of the horde that was crowding around him and for the acrid stench they made, it could have been a typical scene at the entrance of a stadium for a soccer match or a concert.