3 - Attack on paradise

A deep and alarming roar arose from the sea breaking the unusual silence that accompanied the eclipse

Strange vehicles surfaced about a hundred meters from the shore, leaping out of the water like flying fish. There were ten in all, narrow and elongated, as black as the night. No sooner had they emerged, than their engines thrust into full power making the turbojets rotate vigorously.

They moved deftly in the pitch darkness, even the brightest stars barely illuminated their silhouettes which with a stretch of imagination, appeared to be a sort of cross between a small submarine and a single seated helicopter.

Roy could just make out machine guns and missiles on the sides, attached to their short stabilizer wings. There was no doubt: they were perfect war machines, fast, agile, lethal. Roy and Stephanie were paralyzed with fear, hidden in the darkness, sheltered by the vegetation and rocks which surrounded the cove.

The vehicles had just emerged in front of their eyes when another deafening blast emanating from the sea shook the whole bay.

A massive amphibious armored assault vehicle materialized a few meters from the shore. Powered by a dozen imposing wheels, it proceeded with ease onto the beach, heading towards the road which led into the hills. On the top of the vehicle, turrets armed with cannons rotated intimidatingly in every direction, indicating the full extent of their fire power.

Who on earth could have such a strike force at their disposal and for what reason? What could be their target?? The last question had only one possible answer: Moses' laboratory!

Roy wracked his brains for a minute trying to think of other possibilities. Could the secrets safeguarded in the scientist's laboratory really be so important as to justify what was happening?

The armored assault vehicle disappeared from view directed towards Moses' villa, not bothered about the two youngsters hidden in the rocks. Neither moved, rooted to the spot with fright and incapable of moving even a muscle. Nobody could have noticed them.

Roy was the first to recover from the shock: «Gramps! I have to warn Grandad! But how??» Of course! There was a possibility, his new bracelet: Moses had said that it could be used as a telephone! The futuristic display was alight and working; Roy pressed the little button under the display, full of hope. A hologram image of a face with a sad expression and the words off-line appeared and hovered above his wrist. It was useless, they were isolated!

Stephanie shook him, pulling him by his shirt. «Do you know what's happening? What is that thing on your wrist? What are we going to do? I'm scared!»

«My Grandad is a scientist; he's got a laboratory up there in the villa; I think he's being attacked!» Roy answered bluntly.

«Attacked? But why?»

«I don't know, but I have to get to the house, I have to warn them!»

Roy grabbed Stephanie by the shoulders. «Listen, I can't contact my Grandad, but if I move fast and take the short cut through the woods I might just get there before that armored machine. You run to the village, try and contact the police, the army.... but be quick!»