12 - Fighting for hope

Wendi skipped cheerfully into the communications room, followed by Martika, Tex, Rubios and Stephanie

Wendi skipped cheerfully into the communications room, followed by Martika, Tex, Rubios and Stephanie. The little girl's eyes were still full of the wonderful things that they'd seen during their brief visit round the base. She soon spotted her grandad, who was talking with Garius, Vitalius and some of the transmissions staff, and she quickly headed towards him so that she could proudly show him the gift she'd just received.

«Grandad! Grandad! Look what they gave me!»

«Hey little one! Everything ok?» Moses turned to face her, bending down to give her a hug.

«Yes grandad, everything's great, the Moony's house is beautiful, but look what Mr. Director Rubios gave me!» she crowed, happily showing him a little plant pot where a big orange flower resembling a furry hydrangea was blooming on a light blue plant.

«That's beautiful! What species is it?» Moses asked curiously.

«I can't remember, but I've called her Florence. She's alive you know!»

«Of course, all plants are living organisms.»

«Yes, but this one is more alive than the others! Look!» Wendi placed the pot on the floor and moved a few meters away from it.

«Florence!» she called out loudly and the orange flower turned towards her. «That's incredible!» said her grandad, impressed.

«Did you see; she can hear me!» the little girl exclaimed merrily.

«It's a species of flora that comes from the planet Burdinn» explained Stephanie, anticipating the scientist's inevitable question, «it's an empathetic plant, capable of interacting with the person who takes care of it; it creates a relationship very similar to the one we have with our pets on Earth.»

«Truly remarkable» commented Moses.

«Any news, Professor?» Martika cut in on their conversation, keen to have news on Roy.

«We've made a little progress» he promised, then he tried to sum up the situation clearly, for Wendi's benefit: «Roy is well, at the moment he's travelling thanks to a transport mechanism that I built based on the original device. The problem that we're faced with and that we're trying to solve, is how to locate him or at least how to communicate with him.»

«I'm sure that you'll find a way, grandad, you're really clever!» said Wendi, picking up the flower pot, and cuddling it.

«Indeed, thanks to the Professor we have made some significant progress» Garius reaffirmed.

«As I was saying,» Vitalius turned to Moses, picking up the conversation that had been interrupted when the group of sightseers had walked into the room, «the technicians confirm that we can try to communicate with the wrist band communicators but only when they're connected via eco-omega waves to the device, that is to say the next time that the device is activated.»