15 - Demorius

When the Fireball materialized at the coordinates indicated by Anfry's device, it found itself right in front of an enormous column of water which dominated its surroundings and just in time to see the Gahanera race reach its climax, where one of ...

When the Fireball materialized at the coordinates indicated by Anfry's device, it found itself right in front of an enormous column of water which dominated its surroundings and just in time to see the Gahanera race reach its climax, where one of the creatures would finally conquer the evolution crystal.

The crew of that bizarre vehicle didn't have the time to be surprised or worried about this unexpected situation before Vitalius, sitting at the command console next to the Professor, nervously shouted out the data readings from the short-range sensors that he'd installed.

«Our scans indicate the presence of a ship directly above us!»

Rubios jumped out of the passenger's seats and rushed to his side.

«What ship?»

«A hyper-light rhomboid shaped vessel!» the alien scientist replied through clenched teeth.

«What?» intervened Moses, «but who the hell...?»

« Demorius' followers» said Vitalius savagely.

«Damn them! They got here before us! There's been another information leak!» screamed Rubios, violently slamming his fist down on the control console.

«Godammit!» Moses swore, «we've got to locate Roy before...»

«I'm sorry» Vitalius interrupted him, after consulting the instrumentation, «I'm picking up your grandson's vital signs on board that ship!»

Moses stared dumbfounded at the sky before him. He was so close to embracing Roy again and yet, now he risked losing him forever. Confused and disorientated by the turn of events, he didn't know what to do; all his knowledge, his experience and his resources in that moment seemed worthless.

«we... have to stop that ship» he almost stammered, his pleading eyes directed at Vitalius.

A sudden flash of light from outside, invaded the bridge, and captured the crew's attention.

Three deolian flying saucers materialized at the same time, taking up position between the Fireball and the rhomboid shaped ship.

«And who are these...» said Moses, widening his eyes.

«Our protection» Rubios stated firmly, putting his hand on the Professor's shoulder. «You didn't think that Garius would have sent us here unaccompanied, did you? We're peaceful, but not naive!»

Then the deolian turned to Vitalius: «Open an encrypted communication channel!»

«I already have!» confirmed the alien scientist.

«Alpha Squadron,» said Rubios, «the ship above us has boarded the terrestrial boy. You must surround it and prevent it from leaving the atmosphere before it can make the hyper-light jump. Fire a few warning shots, if necessary!»

«Received!» the reply rang out through the communication console speakers.

Rubios turned to Moses, trying to reassure him by explaining his plan: «Vessels like that need to leave the atmosphere before making the jump to light speed. Our saucers are going to try to force them down to land on the sea without causing too much damage.»