5 - A journey of no return

Meanwhile, in a place far far away

The Director of external affairs hurried across the control room, heading towards the Commander who was surveilling the situation as he calmly walked behind the operators seated at their stations.

«Sir, we have confirmation on the signals coming from the Dreamkey zone» he announced breathlessly. «The scientist is about to come out of hiding and our data confirms that he has the device with him.»

«Obviously» the Commander replied impassively, «he's taking his most precious things with him in case he's forced to sacrifice the laboratory and all of his work.»

«According to our statistical analysis there is however a fairly good probability that the others will manage to get hold of it...» explained the Director

«Indeed, but they wouldn't be able to take advantage of it any more than Professor Baldassar has over the years,» The Commander paused while he collected his thoughts, «of course that's if we're actually witnessing a trivial quarrel between adversaries trying to take possession of superior technology, but what if...»

«What if...?» the Director repeated with concern.

«What if, as we have theorized several times before without having any proof, that it's actually him behind these actions...»

«Him?!» the Director gulped.

«Or his followers...» the Commander continued reasoning, «in that case everything that we're witnessing would take on a completely different meaning. Although I doubt that they would be interested in the device, even if, undeniably, they are the only ones capable of using it.»

«So?» the Director asked uneasily. «So» the Commander replied, «they could be searching for something that the scientist is guarding, the existence of something that we know nothing about unfortunately, something that is of such importance to them that they would risk exposure and try absolutely anything to obtain!»

On Dreamkey...

Moses was the first to go through the hold door which gave access to the vast underground hangar. The hangar, had been carved into the rock and was brightly illuminated by a powerful lighting system. He briskly walked onto a gangway and urged the others to follow him.

«Come on guys, we haven't got a second to lose!»

Roy got in line behind Martika, enraptured by the sparkling metallic structure which floated in mid-air at the end of the gangway, so shiny that it reflected everything around it like a mirror. He was so mesmerized by the sight that he didn't notice the little step at the beginning of the gangway and tripped, losing his balance. He swore and clung onto the railings to stop himself from falling, before successfully pulling himself back upright and continue staring at the bright silver spheres joined together by cylindrical tubes, big enough for a man to walk in. Studiously observing the bizarre composition, Roy noticed that it had a certain similarity to a building that he'd once seen in a photo taken by his Mom during one of her many business trips.