17 - Stop and start again

When Roy disappeared with Anfry and Smogghel, Demorius' terrifying scream of anger was so loud it could be heard by the castaways on the living island

The deolian was also forced to give up on the idea of getting his hands on the terrestrial scientist when a squadron of five fighter saucers finally arrived in aid of the Fireball's crew.

His ship, however, managed to slip away just as the enemies attacked, reaching open space where it made the hyper-light jump, leaving no traces behind as it took all the anger and frustration of it's disturbing passenger far away with it.

Moses and his travelling companions were rescued by the starship crews sent by Garius.

The Professor, who, like everyone else, had seen Roy entering the hold of Demorius' spaceship, believed him lost forever, but was reassured by Stephanie who tearfully told him about the mental contact that she'd had with Roy and that he'd escaped.

Moses was comforted furthermore by Vitalius, who had been immediately informed by Garius that the Control Center had picked up a new activation of Anfry's device and could confirm that the boy had left, and that his vital signs were more than satisfactory.

The Fireball, thanks to the intervention of deolian technicians and its own alien derived self-repairing Nano-technology, was soon ready to take the crew back to the moon base.

For all of the return journey Moses didn't say a word, he was going over the incredible series of events in his mind in which they'd been both protagonist and spectator over the last few hours. Thousands of questions bounced from one neuron to another in his brain, most of them without any answers, like Anfry's sudden and heaven-sent reappearance.

But there were other important concerns now. The aliens had proven themselves to be powerful and valuable allies, but when all was said and done, not very reliable. Demorius' network of spies had proved to be of diabolical efficiency and had exposed considerable cracks in the security system of a race, who although disinclined to fight, had been forced into a battle that could decide the fate of the whole Universe.

In addition to that, there was a fundamental problem: just how far could he trust the deolians? Their primary target was Demorius, and to kill him they would have been willing to mercilessly sacrifice Roy. It was with this last thought fixed firmly in his mind that Moses confronted Garius, who had come to welcome them at the docking bay upon arrival at the moon base.

«You...» he pointed his finger angrily at the alien Commander.

«Before you say anything» the Commander interrupted, «allow me to express my deepest sorrow. Although too late, unfortunately, we have identified the spy who passed information to Demorius, a technician at the Primary Control Center who......»

«Please, don't take me for a fool! Having someone provide you with the directions was very convenient for you, wasn't it?» this time Moses interrupted him.