13 - Arrivals and departures

«Oh no, for God's sake, no!»

Having escaped from the horrors of the deadly Kantogean tournament, all Roy wanted was to sink into one of those soft comfortable armchairs in the luxurious cabin created by the transportation device, and just to relax a few minutes before having to face the unknown yet again. The exclamation of anger and disappointment that came from deep inside him was a natural reaction, on finding himself face to face with the mysterious clown who called himself the Guardian of Cosmic Destiny.

«You again! Why the hell have you brought us here, now?»

«Nice to see you again too, Roy» the creature calmly replied, with a sly smile.

«No it isn't, not at all. You get on my nerves, d'you know that?»

«Sorry, what do you mean?» replied the creature, saddened by Roy's words.

«That I would almost have preferred to stay on Kantogea, rather than see you again!» stated the youth bossily.

«Really! I can't believe it... Why all this resentment towards me?» asked the clown, slowly moving forwards on the two-tone floor of the huge upside down pyramid.

«Because I don't like clowns, and you know it» Roy answered categorically, pointing his finger at the Guardian, «but most of all I don't like being brought here against my will just for your amusement!»

«Excuse me... but who is this guy?» Smogghel butted in, bewildered.

«Hi, Smogghel» said the clown, jumping at the opportunity to avoid answering Roy, «For your species I think I'm known as the Custodian of Universal Evolution.»

«You what» said Smogghel, scratching his head puzzled «I've never heard of it.»

«Ah...» a little grimace of disappointment appeared on the being's face, «anyway, among other things, I intercepted you because I really wanted to congratulate you. On Kantogea you managed to survive because of the exceptional spirit of collaboration and sense of trust which you built between you. It's a rare asset, even in such a varied and immense Universe; don't ever forget it!»

«Well, thank you, that's very kind of you. Can we go, now?» said Roy, dryly.

«Why are you so ill-tempered?» asked the clown, frowning.

«Because it sounds to me like you're having a good laugh behind our backs! You secretly spy on us but you don't do anything to help us, and also because I don't know who the hell is behind that stupid mask!»

«I already told you, it's best if you don't see what I really look like.»

«Why, because I might get scared?»

«Listen, Roy... I want to help you, really I do!»

«Sure! If you really wanted to help me, since you can send me anywhere you want, why don't you send me home?»