6 - The Guardian of Cosmic Destiny

In a faraway place

In a faraway place...

The observation center was in turmoil: the operators fiddled nervously with their control panel commands, while several control officers walked restlessly from one side of the big room to the other, carrying collected data to analyze and discuss.

The Commander, had gone to his office to answer a call and was now striding back into the room with determination. The Director of external affairs was analyzing information with some subordinates but as soon as he saw the Commander, he dropped everything and went to meet him.

«Sir...»

«Have you received confirmation of the findings?» the Superior asked stiffly.

«Yes, sir, all data appears to match, confirming the incident!» the Director quickly answered, his voice tight with emotion.

«I 've just finished talking with the Primary Movement Control Center» said the Commander, «they are obviously all in a frenzy, such a thing is impossible! They will have to inform the Central Council without delay»

«The Council!?» the Director repeated apprehensively.

«Of course, what has happened is un-heard of! We must be ready to provide an explanation!»

«Sir, our data is indisputable, we have more than one confirmation stating that the device has been activated!»

The Commander shook his head, incredulous.

«And yet that's not possible! That device wasn't able to activate in any way, wasn't it?»

«That's what we believed... Or rather we thought we were sure of!» the Director assured.

«I just don't understand,» the Commander continued, «even conceding that the device could self-activate, we should have received, as usual, a starting signal and destination indications!»

«I really don't know what to say...» admitted, the Director, without an apology.

«No destination marker! Everybody, here, knows that that can't happen!» said the superior throwing up his arms.

«Sir!» One of the control officers drew their attention.

«What is it?» asked the Commander approaching the operator's work station.

«Look...» The technician pointed to a line of data on the display «These last readings indicate that the device is undoubtedly still on professor Baldassar's vehicle, and is completely inactive!»

The Commander gazed in awe at the screen and turned to the Director, whose frozen stare was also focused on the data.

«So... does this signify that the Professor possessed not one, but two devices?!»

In another place, somewhere...

Roy completely stunned stared at the girl standing next to him who was smiling as she waited for his answer.