Chapter 18

Back at home, I was essentially dubbed by my family as a good and kind young boy. That description probably carried over to my neighbors, and well kids my age around the block. People praised me for my kindness. My parents told me that I was happy, outgoing, sociable, an ideal son in a family. Life was simple. I felt that cling of simplicity. I was carefree and devoid of any complications.

Then maybe I took a sharp turn on the highway.

Sometime in my life, I began to be that one person who's fond of theories and connections—The unusual what-if's that aren't usually commonplace in plain hindsight unless if you just overshoot a little. I'm that kind of person until now. I suppose that when that part of me started to become more pronounced, I felt like I'd be one of the four billion humans to have a more pronounced frontal cortex—more or less the similar case to Albert Einstein—well that's just me assuming I'd get a headache now and then.

Because of that, I was always busy and stressed. My parents would usually get mad at me for being the boy that's no longer kind and polite. They're somewhat sad that they no longer have the Akko that they love.

Right now, I'm the type of person who'd oversaturated the meaning of thinking out of the box.

Because I always do think out of the box.

Sure that may be advantageous to a lot of situations, but that means I can't deduce simple scenarios, outcomes, hypotheses, and outputs. Basically, that's what you call overthinking. Maybe I would be fit to become an intelligence officer of the army who is more into strategic planning, I don't know.

If I tackle the reason why I hate society, it's because I thought society is ignorant.

I always thought that people are just too ignorant to recognize.

To be really honest, even I thought that Miko and Ala-chan were ignorant when I told them my problem about Tomo's mishaps on me. Let's just say the solutions or remedies they provided weren't enough to satisfy me. It was dry or half-baked. It's as if they just wanted to end the conversation and move on. It's like saying that they don't care about me if I got hurt by Tomo at all.

Take that to society, and that's what I meant about society being ignorant.

If you talk about your problem with one person to another, listening is the best thing that they could do ninety-nine percent of the time. I appreciate that they're on my shoes, but once we get to the practical and simple solutions. It's either they try to remedy you with other solutions that don't involve the victimizer or tell you, indirectly or directly, that "It's your problem, face it yourself, why do I need to talk to them for you?"

Sure, that may be a simple and petty crime or attitude.

I care about attitude, because that scales.

That one bully who stole your pen? He might be a criminal now.

That one girl who sexually harassed you? She might be a prostitute now.

That kid you stole money from? They might be poor right now.

That smoke-belching car you kept on using? Maybe the world is a little warmer because of that.

Of course, now I sound like a broken-record, but let me shed some light.

That classmate who was hopelessly drawing a stickman? They might be an artist accepting art commissions now.

That kid on the road who keeps on bringing his Formula One race car with him? He probably is a racer now.

That poor family you'd occasionally give money to? They might've had enough to get their child to school again.

The rally you lead for a new youthful charter? Many people might've been inspired even if you don't see it.