Chapter 3: Introduction

I arrive at base at 0600 with my bags in hand. I walk into the dorm house that I was assigned and see Phoenix sitting on the couch. "Hey roomie," she says with a bright smile.
"I had a feeling we would be seeing more of each other." I walked down the hallway to the room that Phoenix told me was empty. I start to unpack my stuff since we don't report until later.

After unpacking and catching up with Phoenix. We head out of our air-conditioned dorm to find out who our new instructor is. I was already sweating by the time Phoenix and I walked into an old airplane hangar where our class was taking place. "I'm so not used to this California heat anymore." She laughs, "Yah, well-being up in the Arctic Circle will do that to a person." I shrug my shoulders, "I like it up there. Like the day I flew out, I flew over a pod of orcas." She gives me a look, "But, I do miss the warm sandy beaches," I say truthfully.

We walk over to our seats. I choose to sit behind Phoenix and Bob. I lay my head down on the desk, waiting for this class session to start. I hear the chair next to me being pulled out. I tried to peek under my arm to see who it was, but I could only see their very tan skin. "You tired, Darling?" The voice asks next to my ear. I pick my head up, "Morning to you too, Rooster. Nope, just resting."

Rooster goes to say something, but Admiral Simpson 'Cyclone' and Admiral Bates 'Warlock' walk in. "Attention on Deck!!" We all quickly rise to our feet. "At ease," Cyclone said, resting his hands on the podium. We all sat down. "Welcome to your special education continent. This is Naval Commander Admiral Bates," Cyclone points to the man behind him.

I watch the man as he walks over to the podium. "You're all Top Gun graduates. You are elite pilots. You are the best of the best." A smirk forms on most of the faces in this room. "These are yesterday." I looked over to see Hangman's smile drop. "The enemy's new 5th generation fighter jet has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but now it's a technological advantage, you can rest assured that we don't have it." I lean back in my chair, trying to process everything he's saying. "Success is now more than ever attached to a woman or a man inside a box." Warlock looks around the room at each of us.

I see Hangman stare at Phoenix and I. I raise my middle fingers and place it so casually on my forehead. While keeping my attention on Warlock, he starts talking about the mission again. "Half of you will pass the elimination. One of you will be designated as the mission leader. The remaining half will remain as reinforcements." I smile, the mission leader would look great on my Military record and would make my father proud. But out of the corner of my eye, I see that Hangman's smile is back and greater than ever.

"Your instructor is also a Top Gun graduate. He has real-world experience in every mission you are expected to master. His achievements are legendary. He is widely regarded as one of the best pilots this program has produced." I hear footsteps walking down the aisle. I turn and look, I feel a smile form on my face as he walks by. Nice one, Pops, "What he teaches you can make the difference between life and death. Introducing Captain Pete Mitchell. Callsign, Maverick." He finishes and motions for Maverick to walk up to the podium, who is holding the F-18 guides book in hand.

I look over at Rooster, he looks pissed. If looks could kill, Maverick would be very dead right now. I can practically feel the anger radiating off him. I silently place my hand on his knee and turn back to Maverick. I can feel Rooster staring at me, but I choose to ignore it. And hopefully, he ignored the creeping blush that's making its way onto my face.

Maverick holds up the F-18 guides book, "F-18 guides. It contains everything they want you to know about the program. I assume you know the contents of this book?" he asks. I nod. "That's right," Coyote yells. "Yes, we know," Phoenix says, not as loud. Maverick then drops it in the trash that is next to him. "Your enemy knows too." Phoenix turns and looks at me, I shrug. Looking over to the two Admirals: Cyclone looks pissed, while Warlock looks intrigued. "But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them. Show me what you can do."