Chapter 6: Karaoke and Kissing?

I walk out of the hanger, the sun beats down on me. My flight suit starts to stick to my body. I need a cold shower. "Hey Skylar!" I hear a female voice yell. I turn and look over to my left. I see Fanboy, Payback, Bob, and Phoenix standing on the tarmac. I smile and start to walk over. "Well, that's as interesting," Payback starts as I walk up. I nod my head in agreement, "Y'all up for a few drinks?"
"Hell ya," Phoenix yells. I laugh and turn to guys who nod.

Behind me, I hear footsteps walking closer. I turn around and find Rooster, who is already looking at me. I turned to the other pilots, "We'll see you guys there." The guys nod and start to walk away, but Phoenix pulls me close to her. "You are going to talk to him, right?" I nod.

When she is far enough away. I start to yell, "What the hell was that? Do you want to be fired?" I ask. Rooster goes to talk, but I hold up my hand to silence him. "I'm not finished yet. Do you realize how close you are from being taken off this mission? First, your little stunt with Maverick, that could have gotten the both of you killed. And then you go and attack Hangman. Look Rooster, I know your dad is a tough subject for you, and he completely deserved it, but there are other ways to handle it."
"I'm going on that mission," he says. "Is that what you got from what I just said?" I ask, "But if you get your ass fired, then I have to fly with Hangman." He looks away from me. I put my hand on his uniform, feeling his tone chest under it. "Hey, talk to me? What's going on?"
"He pulled my papers," he says. "Who? Right, Maverick."
"He took out my application and sent it back. It pushed me back four years," Rooster said. "Look, I'm not siding with Maverick, but maybe he had a reason. Just think about this. If Maverick didn't pull your paper. You wouldn't have met any of us." I gesture behind me where our friends were just standing. He looks at me and smiles, "I wouldn't have met Hangman."
"No, dumbass, I was talking about..." He cuts me off, "you, I know." I smile, "More or less." He looks down at me. "You like having me around, Darling?" He asks. I feel a blush creep up my neck. "Maybe."

...

After a quick change into a pair of dark blue bell-bottoms and an army green lace crop top paired with my naval jacket. Rooster drove us to the Hard Deck. I step out of his jeep, so glad that I wore pants and a jacket. We walk inside and over to our group. I walk over to Phoenix. "You kiss him yet?" She asks. I give her a confused look as I shrug off my jacket and place it on the back of the chair. She rolls her eyes, "Did you, Savannah 'Skylar' Kazansky kiss Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw?" I shake my head, "Well why the hell not?" I shrug my shoulders. "Why aren't you talking? Did something happen?" She asks. "Do you kiss Hangman yet?" I ask, referring to last time we were here. When she was sober, I told her everything. She had the same shocked look on her face as she does right now. And by her reaction, it tells me enough, "What? -No. Why? Huh?" I smile and stand up to go get a beer, but one is place at my table. I look up to see Rooster smiling at me. "Thank you," I say and sit back down. I look up and see his still there, "This one isn't free?" I ask. "It is if you do one of your amazing talents to get it," he says proudly. Phoenix yells, "You should sing!!!" I look at her and mouth no. Rooster gives me a question look, "You can sing?" I shake my head no, but Phoenix cuts me off, "Don't listen to her. She has an AMAZING voice. Right Penny?" Phoenix asks. I turn around to see Penny standing behind me and by the look on her face, she heard our whole conversation, "That's a fantastic idea!" She says so excitedly. She then jumps on a table and yells, "Hey everyone!! Skylar is going to start tonight's karaoke!" The Hard Deck erupts into cheers. I shake my head while saying no. Penny just shrugs and jumps down off the chair, and Phoenix mouths 'payback'. Everyone else starts chanting my name.

Before I could hide, a hand grabs my wrist and drags me to the 'stage'. I look up to see the man who started this whole thing, dragging me. Arriving by the piano where he sat a few weeks ago. He hands me a microphone. I sigh and walk over to the jukebox to find a song. Crazy Angels by Carrie Underwood.