Chapter 14: Go Time

It's official, I'm flying a dual F-18 for the first time in almost 3 years. I spent last night tossing and turning. Thinking about almost everything but sleeping. I was finally able to fall asleep for a few hours at least. Now I'm standing next to Fanboy, listening to the Warlock give us a quick rundown of what's hopefully going to happen. Keyword, hopefully.

"Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains." My eyes travel to the screen where a hazard triangle is resting. "Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters." Quick pictures of the SAMs and jets are on the screen. "Once your F-18 strike team crosses the border, tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air." I look at Fanboy, my goal up there is to get him home safely, no matter what. "The moment those tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming."

Sweat is forming everywhere on my body. It's starting to feel real. It is real. "Your time to target will be two minutes and 30 seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the tomahawks may have missed." Warlock finishes and Cyclone speaks up. The room is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. "This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely." Everyone starts moving around, I turn to Fanboy. "See you out there," He says. I nod and watch as he walks through the crowd.

I feel a hand clasp of my own. I turn to look at the man I would spend the rest of my life with, I noticed that he's all sweating, and you can see the nervousness in his eyes. I place my hand in his chest, feeling his beating heart, then move my hand up to his face. I watch his face relax at my touch. He reopens his eyes after a moment of recomposing himself. "Better?" I asked, staring into his eyes. "Better." He whispers back. His forehead lowers to mine, "Come home to me," he says softly. I move my head up and down against his forehead, "Forever?" I ask, a small smile growing on my face. "Forever."

We walk out the door into the deck, hands still clasp together. We silently walk, just soaking the time we have together. A Hangman appears in front of us, his eyes traveling to our combined hands. A small smirk appeared on his face. It didn't last long, but it was long enough for me to see. The sound of starting engine and whirring helicopter blades brings an overall sense of calmness to me. "You give 'em hell!" The man in front of me yells over all the noise. I nod before breaking my hand away from Rooster's to go find my wingman. I walk up behind a familiar brunette, "Hey!" I yell. Phoenix turns around, she smiles before sticking out her first. A small smile covers my face once again as we complete our handshake. "You up for this, Phoenix?" "Just a walk in the park, Kazansky." I go to turn away, but a hand on my shoulder stops me, "Hey!" Turning back around, I'm met with a bone crushing hug. Wrapping my arms around Phoenix as she whispers a message in my ear, "Good luck out there." I pull away, wishing her the same and walk away to look for my godfather.

"Maverick!" I shouted at the man who was about to climb the ladder. Retreating down and over to me. I pull Maverick into a tight hug, "Be safe," I whisper in his ear. "Only if you are, as well." I find myself nodding back.

...

I was just about to start the chair up the ladder when a familiar mustache caught my eye. I choose to stay on the first step, to be equal height to Rooster as he walks over. He doesn't say anything, he just cups my cheek and plants a quick but passionate kiss on my lips. It was over before I could really react to what was happening. He kisses my forehead before walking over to his jet. "Bradley!" He turns to look at me, "See you when we get back." He nods, I continue to make my way up the ladder and lower myself into the box.