Chapter 5: Time

Maverick stands at the podium the next morning telling us what to expect on this mission. "Time is your worst enemy." A video model of the canyon appears on the screen. "Stage 1 of the mission will be a low-level advancement in two teams." I watch as two sets of two planes appear on the screen, flying in a diamond like pattern. "You'll fly along a low-level canyon to your target." The planes enter the canyon in teams of two at a time. "These radar guided surface-to-air missiles defend the area. These SAMs are lethal." The screen shows a military grade missile launching device. It holds 4 radar large missiles. I remember dad telling me about how the radar used on these SAMs only works at a certain altitude, if below that altitude, the radar won't be able to detect the plane thus wouldn't be able to shoot you down. "But they are designed to protect the sky above, not the canyon below."

"Because the enemy knows that no one
is crazy enough to fly under them." I watch as Maverick looks over to Rooster, his eyebrows scrunch together. "That's exactly what I'm going to train you for." I hear a sigh from next to me. I look over at Rooster, he's trying to hide his hatred, but is failing miserably. "On mission day, your altitude will be 300ft. Maximum. If you pass this altitude, the radar will catch you, and you die." I shift in my seat, trying to get comfortable with the intensity of this mission. The screen shows an F-18 flying above the altitude line and getting hit by a SAM.
"Your speed will be 660 knots. Minimum. Arrival time at destination is 2.5 minutes." With every detail that Maverick adds, this mission gets even further from possible and closer to impossible. I speak up, "Maverick, that canyon is over eight miles long. What is so important at the other end that we need to get to the end so fast?" Maverick clicks on his clicker, a picture of a plane, I've only seen on my father's computer, shows up. This plane is entirely different from the F-18, it's a darker color and overall a lot bigger is size. 

"This is because of the 5th generation warplanes waiting at the nearby airport. If you encounter these planes in an F-18, you will die," he tells us. I nod, leaning back into my seat. "So before these planes even have a chance to catch you," the screen shows us a team of planes flying through the canyon. "You must enter, hit your target and disappear. This makes time your biggest competition." Phoenix looks back at me, "It's like a full circle moment."

"You now know the parameters of this mission. For today's practice, let's get into the air. Your navigation system has a simulation of the canyon. The faster you cross this canyon, the more difficult it will be for you to stay under the radar of these SAMs and stay away from enemy planes." The screen shows the planes making tight turns, "As the turns get harder, the force of gravity on your body increases exponentially. It compresses your lungs. It forces the blood in your brain to stop flowing. It affects your decisions and reaction time." Mavericks takes a breath, "They asked me not to overload you." I relaxed a little bit. "So your altitude is 1,000 feet and your time to your destination is 3 minutes. Good luck."

"First group is Coyote, Harvard, and Yale. Group two, Hangman, Payback, Fanboy. Group three, Skylar, Phoenix, and Bob. Group four, Rooster, Fritz, and Omaha. Dismissed." 

I stand up and walk out of the old airplane hangar to my plane to complete my check-list. Everyone except group one went to the break to wait for our turn. One group at a time goes up to fly and when they return another group leaves. During the waiting time, we all are doing something to keep our minds off this almost impossible mission.

Another group comes in looking defeated, Hondo follows close behind. "Next Group, Skylar, Phoenix, and Bob." We stand up and walk out the door to our planes. Before I can walk out, a hand grabs my wrist. I turn around and see Rooster staring down at me with concerned eyes. "Be careful, Sky."
"Will do, Rooster."

Walking over to my plane, I see a figure standing by the ladder. "What are you doing?" I yell over the sound of a plane landing. Phoenix laughs and sticks out her fist. I hit my fist on top of hers. We repeat twice, ending with my fist on top again. Smiling, we bump the side of our hips together. She walks towards her plane, smiling.