Chapter 10: Bye Pops

Walking by the med bay, I see Maverick standing outside. "Any news?" I ask, walking closer. "Not yet." I nod and let out a soft 'okay'. "How are you holding up? The guys said that you ran off early." Maverick asks me with concern in his eyes. "It sounded all too familiar," I whisper. He wraps his arms around me, holding me tight. "Go to the break room, there shouldn't be any news until later. I'll come find you." I nod. Maverick unwraps me from his arms and I head down the hall.

When I opened the break room door, I expected it to be empty, but the brown eyes that met mine were something I didn't expect to see. "I thought everyone left," I walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a coffee mug. "Maverick said, I could wait in here for some news." Rooster said casually. I nod while pouring coffee into my cup. There's this awkwardness in the air that was never there before. "Where'd you run off too early?" "My father's office," I answered shortly, not really wanting to talk about it or talk to him.

"Skylar, can we talk, please?" I turn around so fast that the coffee almost spills over the sides of my cup. "Oh, now you want to talk because if I remember last night, you didn't say a word."
"Well, you didn't really give me..." I cut him off, "Didn't give you a chance? If I remember right, we stood in silence for 5 minutes before I went inside. So don't tell me, I didn't give you the chance to speak!" I say, getting angrier by the minute. Rooster looks down at his lap, not saying anything. "There you go, not saying anything again!"
"I'm trying!" Rooster yells. My eyes widened, "I'm trying to figure out how to tell you!"
"Tell me what?" I ask, but before Rooster can answer, there's a knock on the door and Maverick walks in. "They're keeping Phoenix and Bob in the Med Bay overnight for observation. They're going to be okay." I feel a weight being lifted off my shoulders, Maverick looks at me, "Phoenix is asking for you," he looks at his watch, "Visiting hours are over in 10 minutes. So hurry." I nod with a small smile on my face, "Yes, sir." Before I leave the room, I stop in front of Maverick. I wrap my arms around his waist, "Thank you." I mumble against his shirt. I feel his hands rub up and down my back in a comforting way. He kisses the top off my head before whispering for me to go. I look up at him and whisper for him to be nice, before walking out the door and practically running down the hallway towards the Med Bay. I push open the Med Bay doors, "Lieutenant!" The nurse was shocked at my abrupt entrance. "Lt. Natasha Trace?" She nods towards the far curtain room, I mumble thank you before walking over. I rip open the curtain, "Natasha, you scared the living shit out of me!" I whisper yell. "I'm sorry. Are you okay?" She asks. "I thought I was supposed to ask you that?"
"You know what I mean, Sav." I sigh, knowing that she isn't going to drop it. "Okay... It brought back some memories, but I'm all fine now." I tell her, "Now, enough about me, how are you?" Phoenix and I talk for a while before opening the curtain between her and Bob's 'room' so he could be involved. We talked until the nurse told me to leave, and she reminded me of visiting hours. I wave goodbye and head back to the break room - just in case Rooster is there. I need to know what he was going to tell me.

Walking back, I hear footsteps behind me. I think nothing about it until they start calling my name, "Lt. Kazansky," I turn around and see Admiral Bates walking up to me, "Yes sir?" I ask. He sends me a sorry look. I get confused, "Savannah, it's your father." My eyes widen, tears start forming. I shake my head, refusing to cry in front of the Admiral, a sign of weakness. Warlock puts a hand on my shoulders, "Do you know where Maverick is?" I nod before taking a deep breath. "10 minutes ago, he was in the break room, sir." I stutter through the whole sentence. He nods before walking away, "Wait! Sir?" He turns around. "Can I tell him?" He walks back over to me, "Are you sure, Lieutenant? I can do it." I shake my head, "I need Maverick to drive me home, Sir. I don't think it's wise to drive right now." He nods, and sends me a pity look - God I hate pity - before walking away. I make my way to the break room, trying not to think about it, trying not to break down. I reach for the door handle. I open the door, I hear the last part of Rooster yelling at  Maverick. "... Why'd you stand in my way?" Rooster yells.