Chapter 9: Eject

The next morning, Phoenix and I walk into the hangar. I saw Rooster in the same seat as always, and I started to question if yesterday even happened. I look over at Phoenix, who nods her head at Rooster. "You can do this," she whispers. I nod before we continue walking over. I sit down in my regular spot, "Morning Bob." He sleepily says good morning back. I look to my left and smile, not at Rooster, but at the man leaning back on the wall. They both smile back. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rooster notice I'm not looking at him, and he looked down at his lap, embarrassed. "Skylar..." Rooster starts, but is cut off by Warlock walking up to the podium. We all quickly stand. He raises his hand, and we all sit back in our chairs. "Morning." Warlock looks at his paper before turning his attention back to us. "The uranium enrichment plant that is your target will be fully operational sooner than expected. The raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in 10 days. As a result, your mission has been pushed forward a week. To avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation." I shake my head. Phoenix turns back to me, then looks at Bob. Out of the corner of the eye, I saw Rooster lean forward slightly in his seat next to me. "Sir, no one here has successfully completed the low-altitude course." Coyote tells him. "Yet you have been ordered to advance." Warlock says before leaving the podium and allowing Maverick to walk up after him.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to figure out how we will be able to do this. "We have one week to focus on Phase 2. The most difficult part of the mission. A pop-up strike and an inverted dive that required two consecutive miracles. Two pairs of F-18s will fly in a welded wing formation." Maverick hit a button and the screen shows two sets of F-18s flying in pairs. One set in front of the other. "Teamwork and precise precision, while flying these planes, is key for the success of the mission and for your  survival." Maverick hits the button again and shows us a picture of two mountains. "As you know, the plant rests between two mountains. On the final approach, you will invert into a steep dive." The screen shows two planes climbing the mountain and inverting as soon as they reach the top. Once over the mountain, then revert to the upright position. "This gives you the opportunity to maintain the lowest possible altitude and the only attack angle. Your target is in an area of ​​less than 3 meters." The screen shows us the 'box' we were supposed to hit during practice. "The first two aircraft will paint the target with a laser bullseye. The first pair will breach the reactor. The exposed vent will drop a laser-guided bomb and hit the reactor. This will leave an open space for the second pair." The screen shows what Maverick is saying. "This was the first miracle."

The screen shows the second team dropping the bomb and blowing up the plant. "The second team will deliver the killing shot. And will destroy the target. This is the second miracle. If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure." The screen shows a pair of F-18s climbing the steep second mountain. "You will have to make a hard ascend to avoid hitting the mountain."
"You must be pulling at least 8Gs," Hangman says, surprisingly not in his normal cocky nature. He's getting nervous about this mission, just like the rest of us. "9. Minimum." Maverick corrects. Rooster speaks up from next to me, "The fuselage of the F-18s is designed for 7.5Gs."
"That's the accepted limit," I blurt out loud, I suddenly feel everyone staring at me. "Skylar's right. You will endure more to survive this mission. Even if it means twisting your torso. Your heartbeat will accelerate, and you will feel pressure close to 2,000 pounds. Your skull will crush your spine. Your lungs will explode as if an elephant is sitting on your chest. You will fight with all your might, just not to faint. And right here you will be the most vulnerable."

The screen shows the mountain has an outward ridge. The pair of F-18s move anyway from the mountain to avoid crashing into it. "This is... the coffin corner. Assuming you avoid hitting this mountain, you will go straight into enemy radar while losing all your airspeed. Within seconds, enemy SAMs will be fired at you. You've all had a malfunction in the air before, but this will bring you and your aircraft to a different level."
"Sir, can this task be accomplished?" Phoenix asks. Maverick paused, "The answer to this question is it depends on the pilot in the box."