5. Drawing the unreal when you can't draw reality

I woke up at dawn, thin sunbeams lightening my room creating shadows all over my walls . I was wrapped in my covers trying to fight the cold of this early morning of november my eyes slowly adjusting to the slight light . I waited here, in this warm cocoon, before deciding to go grab a coffee and bring it back to my room . I opened my window observing the city . The world was still asleep like on hold . I could stay and look at this silent show forever with the hot cup of cappuccino warming my cold hands . I loved waking up early because I had all the time I needed to get ready, I could read, I could listen to music and beyond everything else, I could take a burning hot shower . So after finishing my coffee I turned on the water the heat slowly awakening my body . I stayed there way too long but I was finally ready to start my day and it felt that this day was going to be good, or at least, calm .

___

Our teacher was speaking way too slowly for people trying to stay focus more than two hours and the truth is, no one stayed focus more than two hours . I started looking at my phone ten minutes ago already and I had the impression that this class was never gonna end . Hopefully I also had my drawing book in which I doodled all my boring hours of listening to soporific people . I knew they were doing an amazing job and thank God some people were really interested in studying French literature but that wasn't me, I didn't know what I was doing here and by looking at the others I was far from being the only one .

"Hey, your drawings are great" someone whispered from behind me .

"Umm, hey thanks" I replied turning around seing this little guy who seemed to be just out of highschool looking at my sketchbook .

"You never thought of being an illustrator ?" he asked apparently not caring at all about the class goign on .

"Oh umm no I never thought of that actually..." I said sceptical .

"You should, you're really talented"

And with that he was back at taking notes his head so close to the table he could've go through it . I turned around and looked at the drawings I always considered being just a hobby and realized that they were indeed pretty good . I never took a single class and the thought of drawing becoming a job for me had never crossed my mind . Drawing was something I felt good doing, something I felt had a purpose for me . As a kid, I spent hours inventing stories drawing the different characters -mostly mystical creatures- and the landscapes they were living in and while thinking about it, I think my younger self would've love to be an illustrator . But I was 21, I had been through three years of studies, I couldn't change now, could I ?

___

After lunch I went down to the library, took out my pencils instead of my laptop and searched for books about mystical creatures . I browse through the different shelves the librarian looking at me as if I had just started a barbecue in the middle of her sacred place . I wasn't used to take books here because most of my work was made on my laptop but while seing all of them waiting for someone to open them I thought that it was kind of sad how technology took over paper in only a few years . I eventually managed to find five books about mysctical creatures and put them on my desk with a sound that all the students seemed to want to kill me for . I took the first one out and looked through it feeling inspiration grow in me at every picture I saw . I finally found a picture of a dragon that looked a bit like the ones I used to draw before . I searched for my pen and without waisting a minute my hand was tracing lines, creating shadows and filling the blanks with colors . I was finishing my third drawing when night started to show along with exhaustion . My neck was stiff and my hand painful but this time I knew I had done something real, something that I was finally wanting to do .

I was just about to go out when someone grabbed my arm from behind apparently out of breath .

"Hey, Aimee, I'm throwing a party on saturday night, same address as last week you wanna come ?"

That was Justin, a guy I met last year after he almost dropped me in the water of his way too big swimming-pool during a party I didn't remember a lot about . He was nice but I never really had the opportunity to talk to him given the fact that he was always surrounded by all his friends each looking like professional soccer players . But latly he had been invited me to every party he seemed to go to and I wondered why given the fact that we barely talked to each other .

"Well yeah that's nice I'll be there" I said starting to think I should stop to go on parties every Saturday if I wanted to keep an healthy liver .

"Cool yeah that's so cool, I'll see you Saturday then, or maybe sooner !" he smiled so hard I was almost blinded by his perfect white teeth .

"Yeah, see you Saturday" I replied waiting for him to step away but he seemed to be stuck here "Justin could you step aside I-I kind of have to go home now"

"Oh sorry yes sorry I-I yes sorry" he almost jumped a meter away to let me reach the doors his eyes still locked on me .

"Bye" I waved at him trying to be as nice as possible .

"Bye !" he almost shouted in the silence of the hall startling me a bit before trotting away .

When I finally got home at 8 I received a notification on my phone .

Justin added you to "Saturday night fever"

I was now getting text from people I barely knew every five seconds so bless the guy who invented the 'turn off notifications' option . But as I was putting my phone away a name appeared in the conversation, a name that this time, I knew way too well .

Ayla : Hi do we need to bring something ? :)

_______________________________________________________________
<3