ONE~ WELCOME TO BARDEN

most of my life i've always known what i'm doing and comfortable in the environment i'm in and the normality it brings me. But at this very moment in time i couldn't feel any different. i am jet lagged, sweat has clung to random parts of my body, and i am on my way to Barden university, which i honestly couldn't care less about.

i live in London with my mum and 2 siblings ,jess and tom, but due to my mums new announced hope for me, she has sent me across the world to try to diminish my dreams which she thinks aren't worth it.

i've never done exceptionally well at school, i'm surprised i've even been allowed here, but fortunately i did to my mums delight.

For a nineteen year old this would be the dream, moving away from your family starting fresh, new people to meet. But in reality all i want to do is publish my own stuff to the world and do what i enjoy most. Right now i'm on my way to complete an english course which couldn't be any further from what i want to be doing. I've had to read Shakespeare for the last 5 years involuntarily and I don't feel like doing it for another 3.

Despite my hatred for English Literature, i always seem to find myself not far from a book and use it as a form of comfort as it seems to be the only thing that is a solid in my life.

Currently, i'm in a taxi on my way half asleep. if i'm being honest i hope this car ride lasts as long as it can because at this point in time i really don't feel like socialising with random strangers let alone a new roommate who im going to have to get used to for the next however many years.

engulfed by my music i have pretty much drowned out my surrounding environment as "the chain" by fleetwoodmac hums in my ears. i love music and i could genuinely not survive without it. i just wish my mum could have heard me out and listened before she decided this path was the best for me.

as i'm starting to drift off the car comes to a stop and i realise unfortunately we are here. i open the door with my headphones still placed upon my head. i am at this point, still in comfy clothes from the airport not having had time to change, and my brunette hair is down and cascading down my back.

i move towards the back of the car while taking in parts of my surrounding, almost preparing myself. i grab my bags out of the back politely refusing the help of some guys who seemed to spawn out of thin air. Then i begin to move to the side of the car ready to get going before this blonde chick jumps out of no where. I hope this isn't a running theme here.

i take off my headphones to seem a bit more polite than what my facial features are probably giving off , and i am welcomed with her chipper tone welcoming me. "what dorm?"

"baker hall, i think?" i honestly am going of memory from what i got told almost a day ago so at this point just hoping it made some sense to her.

wipping out her map she starts to point directions out in which i am not too excited in knowing. i drift off but at the sound of a car halting to my left my attention is brought to a guy around my age seeming to be getting dropped off by his parents for the new year.

He spots my stare making eye contact before breaking into a guitar solo to the song blasting through the speakers. he sings some song i can't say i know of but it does lift my mood as i feel myself smiling at his antics.

Before he can finish the car speeds of almost taking him by surprise off of his feet until he's out of my sight. God if everyone is like this i'm going to need coffee in my system 24/7.

I realise where i am and realise i in fact have not listened to a word this woman has said, so tune back in just for her to hand me a rape whistle.

"Don't blow it unless it's actually happening. Nobody likes that." i reluctantly take it with a startled frown and place it in my tote bag under my arm before grabbing my bags and heading in the rough direction of my building.

Right now i'm just worried how many incidences there has had to be for them to introduce this "rape whistle" .

What has my mum actually signed me up for.

i make my way through a crowded open area where people are just littered everywhere. there are guys literally rating passers by at this place. This has to be right out of some corny American tv show and i ,unfortunately, am a god damn character in it.

I drag my bags up the stairs as the elevator of course isn't working so i use the strength i can muster to haul the bag up until i finally, despite being out of breath, reach the third floor.

i find my door number. But my hand hovers over the door knob due to me not wanting to make a bad first impression due to ridiculous jet lag. However my eyes float down the corridor and i spot the guy from earlier so that is my push to open the door as i definitely don't want to communicate and make a bad impression with him.

as i step through the door my eyes land on a completely bare side and beside that is a fully decorated side with plants and tapestry hung on the walls and candles lit filling the air with a fresh flower smell.

"hey! i'm Kay, i'm your roomie it's so nice to meet you, You must be Abbi." so this is the roomate she seems pretty tidy and quite sweet. She walks in for a hug taking me off guard but i slowly relax into it with a hello of my own.

" i left you that side i hope you don't mind"

i look at her strange before saying it's fine i don't know why it wouldn't be.

"sorry for me saying i've just delt with roommates before who have specific things they want" i feel almost bad for how i'm presenting myself. i really do need to sleep and remove the makeup accumulating beneath my eyes.

"it's okay. sorry i'm so grouchy i'm normally not like this. i'm just severely jet lagged."

"god i know how you feel. Are you from the UK? you've got an accent i love that."

"yeah London. " i already miss it more than i thought i would, just being late out with my friend no care in the world. I also used to busk and sing in my free time. it was one of my favourite things to do but i can't really do that anymore.

"i have always wanted to go, it looks truly beautiful especially London with big ben and the Eiffel tower!"

"Kay, the Eiffel tower isn't in London that's France" i stifle a laugh at her truly thinking she was right which leads for her to laugh in embarrassment. i reassure her they are easily mistaken. Even though they really arn't.

I sit down and get to know her a bit before i clamber into bed set my alarm for a couple hours time before i drift off immediately into a long deserved sleep.

edited: 21st august 2023