26- healing

It had been 2 days since Megumi's sudden appearance in your room. He had been admitted to Shoko immediately where he was then treated for his major injuries and awful burns. You assisted Shoko a lot. She said that you "might as well have" since you wouldn't have left the room anyways. She was probably right.

After leaving Megumi to rest, Nanami had called you to his office. With every step you took you felt dread fill your insides.

"Have a seat, y/n," he said sternly just as you walked through the door. You did as you were told, and took the seat positioned in front his desk.

"I understand why you want to leave, but at least think rationally about the decision. I've given you more than enough time to reconsider after you dropped off your uniform," he started, and it was true. Not once did he mention it to you during Megumi's tedious surgeries or when you wasted time in the hallways.

"You have grown so far in only 7 months, and you've experienced things well above your skill level. Those things you handled extremely well," he spoke, gesturing your eye by pointing at his own. You still haven't found either eyepatch that the couches swallowed.

"I just think you made the decision based on your emotions. Don't get me wrong, sometimes that can be for the best, but I want you to rethink it. Talk to Megumi."

"He doesn't want to talk. He kept muttering about Gojo when he slept. He had no interest in talking to anyone when he woke up from his first string of surgeries," you admitted.

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"About what?"

"The Gojo thing, and also why he wouldn't want to talk to you. You're his-"

"Listen Nanami, I don't know. When I first found him he kept repeating phrases like, 'I'm so sorry Gojo.' Maybe Megumi thinks he let him down or something," you said while picking at your cuticles.

Nanami thought for a moment before responding. "Please think about what I had to say, as well as the opinions of others if given the chance to ask them. You are dismissed."

With a quick nod you left his office and began the walk to Shoko's. Hopefully Megumi was awake— and in a talking mood.

"Ah, you've returned. Perfect. You can replace his IV and change bandages. I need a break," Shoko stated as you walking into the room. Looking over at him, you noticed Megumi was awake, yet he wouldn't tear his vision away from the wall in front of him. The silence was painfully loud.

"Okay, can do."

Shoko left the room, leaving you and Megumi alone. You started to get everything around to change the IV drip when you heard his voice.

"Y/n," he whispered. You immediately moved to the side of his bed.

"Yes?"

"Please tell him I'm sorry."

Your eyebrows pinched together, "What are you talking about? Tell who?"

"Gojo," his voice wavered but never got louder than a whisper. You pulled a chair up and took his hand in yours.

"Why? Is everything okay?" You asked softly.

He paused for a minute or two before you watched a tear slide down his cheek. "He'll never forgive me. I'm so selfish!"

You watched as Megumi began to break down in front of you.

"If only I had been stronger. If I wasn't so weak maybe they wouldn't have been able to hurt me like they did. Or maybe if I was smart enough to realize I was walking into a trap-"