5

Being in a partnership necessitated making sacrifices; otherwise, it would crumble like a sand castle when water flooded on it. And it meant that you, as a man, had to cope with your fiance's mood swings, especially if she was hungry or exhausted.

Kanat's pet peeve in his relationship was Ekim's behaviour while she was ill. She always acted like a small child, with the most extreme mood swings.

Everything started this morning with their breakfast. They ate their omelettes, which Kanat had cooked this time. After a while in their relationship, Ekim taught him how to cook properly, which he eventually mastered. He could cook, but just simple things like salads and omelettes. Ekim continued to attempt to teach him increasingly harder recipes, but she was not yet successful.

"This time you didn't burn it. I'm quite proud of you. "

Wow, he felt honoured by her generosity. When it came to cuisine, Ekim was a ruthless critic. She constantly found something that didn't fit her tastes, and he had a tough time finding a place where she was satisfied with the dinner. However, every time they went to see her mother, she never said anything negative about it, even if it tasted terrible. She simply smiled at her mother and thanked her for her efforts. He wondered why she couldn't be as tolerant with other people's meals, but then he immediately saw why Ekim acted this way. She was constantly trying to make her mother happy, whether it was by taking her on trips across the world, going on walks together, or simply paying her a visit and spending the night at her old apartment. He knew Neşe was having a difficult time parenting her kid alone with no one by her side since her husband left them, and he understood that, as a result, Ekim was sceptical of males, which was evident at the start of the relationship. But why couldn't she be like that with everyone else's food?

"Thanks." He responded. Their relationship has been deteriorating recently. They grew cold to each other. Ekim was too focused on her job, as did he, and they hadn't had the time to chat properly in the previous month. Today was an exception until the moment Ekim had to ruin their day by criticising the dish he cooked.

"What do you have planned for today?" He attempted small talk, which proved more difficult than he anticipated. It used to be simpler.

Ekim glanced at him perplexed, not understanding why he was asking her this question. "Today I'm meeting with the judge and the attorney. We need to decide which evidence will be used in this case. "

That's exactly what he meant. She didn't even think of spending the day with him, her fiance, with whom she had been in love since high school.

"Okay." He didn't add anything more; he just nodded. He had the sensation that the spark between them had long since vanished, replaced by a large black pit filled with nothing but emptiness. And it pulled everything in to make it happen. He observed as she completed her lunch and exited via the kitchen door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was already late when Kanat came home. Nothing could illuminate his path because the lights were turned off. He dragged himself upstairs to his bedroom, gently opening it so he didn't disturb Ekim, and laid down on his side of the bed. He stepped forward to hug his fiancée, but instead of feeling her warmth, he was met with cold bedsheets. Then he heard someone vomiting in the bathroom.

Kanat sprang up and dashed to the restroom, and the scene before him made him sick. The woman he loved the most in the world was sobbing in front of the toilet and looking at him with a worn out expression.

"Hey, what's going on?" He sat across from her so they could chat at eye level. "I'm ill." She replied before turning her head and vomiting into the toilet. At the same time, he quickly reacted by holding her hair.