4 - Delilah

A/N

quick note — make sure you guys are reading the chapters in order !! I don't want you to miss out on any key parts!! Okay now enjoy...

~~~

"You're fucking crazy Del."

Carla rushes around my room, shuffling through all the clothes I've discarded on the floor in preparation for my, not a date— date, tonight. "I know that, thank you very much." She was right.

The second I got home from the cafe I called Carla again who almost had a heart attack at my rash decision to see Mason again later.

"I don't think this is a good idea. I mean what do you expect to get out of it? He's just going to leave again and break your heart all over." Thank you, Carla. That very important piece of information I am already well aware of and trying my best to ignore.

"I tried to tell him we didn't have to do the whole catching up thing. He was very persistent." I shove my feet through a black dress I bought for a class function two years ago. Thank god it was the stretch spandex material or else it wouldn't have survived the trip up my wide hips and lower stomach. "Turn around," her cold hands touch my back zipping the dress up.

Everything is telling me not to go tonight, knowing how hard I broke after this man. Knowing that he's my big-shot quarterback and I'm still working on the first and only goal of my adult life. The only result from this dinner would one hundred percent be another goodbye, and I've had far too many of those. I'm done saying goodbye.

"Whatever you do, do not let that man kiss you. Especially fuck you, Del. I swear if you come home telling me that I will personally drive to your house and shove a lamp up your ass." Clara always had a way with words. I laugh at her crazy insinuation for tonight.

"I'm serious. It will only make it harder." Her blonde hair is a frazzled mess on the top of her head and her eyes look dead serious.

She scares me a bit.

"I am not fucking Mason Jones. I am meeting him to get him out of this town as soon as possible so I can go back to pretending everything is okay and I don't hate my life every second of every day." I huff and sit on the end of my bed, out of breath from my rant, and suck it in to get the zipper up my back.

  "I'm just as wary of this as you are, okay? I'm already feeling anxious about this, I just need you to know I'm not doing this for any other reason than to get him to leave." Clara takes a seat beside me and circles her arm behind my back. She rests her head on my shoulder and I rest mine on the top of hers.

"I know, I just don't want to see him hurt you again. You deserve more than what you've been dealt Del, I just want you to see that." I was more appreciative of my best friend than she could ever know. She was here picking up the pieces of my first and only heartbreak. She was also by my side during the worst day of my life.

I wouldn't be here without her.

"I love you. I know you're just looking out for me and I appreciate that more than you know. I'm going to get through this night and be done with it. He'll go back to forgetting I exist and I'll go back to studying my ass off." I hug my friend close, taking comfort in her presence.

We both startle at the sound of the doorbell and my heart drops.

He's here.

"Okay. Call me or text me for anything, and I mean anything! If it is going awful and you are going to break— CALL ME." Clara shakes my shoulders and I nod my head.