24 - Delilah

"Call me if you need anything, I mean anything. I left some pre-made dinners in the fridge along with Clara's number on the door if there is an emergency." I shuffle through my mental checklist of things I need to tell Dad before leaving.

Mason texted letting me know he was on the way—with a driver.

Apparently, a driver was in the budget of things he needed these days due to his shoulder injury and limited motion. It made sense why he couldn't drive, but I wouldn't tease him any less about it when I got the chance.

"I'll be fine Delilah. Just go have fun, the both of you." My Dad smirks and wiggles his eyebrows, to which I just roll my eyes. "I told you, I'm just going to help him find his Mom." I point to him, "as a friend." He just laughs.

It seems as though no one has confidence in me. When I told Clara and Ryan they both exchanged knowing glances and before I knew it they were laughing. I flipped them off and reminded myself that I know what I'm doing and didn't need their approval.

Then I received a text from Tish.

Tish: Can't wait for the hookup story when you get back!

No one had hope in me.

"Sure sweetie, now come here and give me a hug." The sound of a horn followed by the ding of a text confirmed Mason's arrival. I walk over to my Dad, hugging him tightly. I know he's been better lately, and that therapy has been consistent, but I'm still worried. Worried that he'd spiral when I wasn't here or wasn't close by to help him. Both Clara and Ryan offered to help, both of them knowing exactly the extent of my Dad's mental state.

"Love you," I mumble into his warm chest, pulling away. "Don't burn the house down while I'm gone." Fixing the strap of my overnight bag, I swing my backpack on as well. I was a chronic over-packer, with my backpack carrying all my electronics just in case of an emergency quiz or exam—and my overnight bag stuffed to the brim with "what if?" outfits.

What if we go to dinner? What if the hotel has a pool? What if we go snowboarding?

I had to be prepared.

"Love you too, now go before he leaves." My Dad helps me to the front door, opening it for me. Waiting outside in my driveway is a black SUV that dwarfs the asphalt, making my driveway look tiny. Mason leaned against the car and for a moment I forgot how to breathe. Black sunglasses frame his face along with a New England Warriors ball cap. He wears a black hoodie and heather gray sweatpants. I force myself not to drop my eyes below the waist of his drawstring sweats.

I was going to hell.

"There you are. Thought I'd have to send a search party." Mason teases, lifting his glasses off his face. I put my best-unbothered appearance forward. "No need. I'm here." I tease, shrugging my shoulders full of stuff.

"That you are. Along with enough stuff for two weeks. Did I send you the right plans? You know we're only away for one night?" Mason teases, reaching with his left arm and nursing his right close to his body, for the strap of my bag. I let him take it, watching as he flinches at the weight.

"Jesus, Del." He swears under his breath and I roll my eyes.

"You're really out of shape if you think that's heavy, Jones." I smile at his retreating form towards the trunk of the car. The driver gets out to open the trunk, letting Mason drop my bag in the back next to his.

Mason laughs at my response, making his way back over to where I stand gripping my backpack to avoid fidgeting.

"Oh Del girl. You and I both know I'm not out of shape." He drops his head, tilting it to catch my gaze. "Isn't that right?" He says with a knowing smirk.