29 - The Breakup (before)

Delilah

I can't describe how I knew it was the end for us. It was just a feeling. This entire month has felt extremely off, the both of us almost putting on shows for one another. We sleep together every night yet I've never felt more alone.

We get ready in the morning alongside one another, like parallel lines that never cross. I ignore it, and so does he. Ever since the news of his future in the NFL draft, and how reality looked like it was closer than before, we've walked in silence.

It's almost 9 pm and I know he got out of practice at 7 pm. He texted me earlier saying he was getting dinner and a quick drink with his friends. I shouldn't have felt relief but I did.

How could we go from barely being able to breathe when apart to suffocating while together?

The sting in my chest hasn't left since I woke up this morning knowing exactly what I had to do. For the both of us, I'd be the one to end it. I'd be the one to rip the band-aid off.

Mason wasn't the type to ever willingly enter confrontation and it was in his nature to fix things. He was a fixer and a mender all in one. But I don't know if that's in our best interest. We've been together for years now, and have known one another since high school, if our relationship needed mending we would've done it by now.

I fear he's given up and so have I.

Gripping the tissue in my hand, full of old shed tears, I take a breath.

I look like an absolute maniac, sitting at the kitchen island with a glass of whiskey and a box of tissues. My eyes are stained red because all I've done all day is cry.

I can't face him, I just can't.

My attention falls to the door when the sound of the jingling of keys and a shaking doorknob enters the room. I tense up, my shoulders are tight and my heart is heavy. I don't have the confidence to look up at him when he walks in, instead I shoot back the rest of the whiskey and send a silent prayer to my heart.

"Hey, you didn't have to wait for me. Sorry, I'm later than usual." I blink back, my tears begin to fall over, and grab the glass. "Everything okay?" I hear the change in his voice and can feel his stare on the back of my neck.

I don't turn around.

"I think we should talk." My voice is scratchy and foreign like my body is trying to stop me from doing this, stop me from making the final decision. But I have to, for us and for me. And for Mason.

"I don't like the sound of that." Mason walks around where I sit, as still as a statue, and stands across from me. I finally look up at him and am gutted at his face. His eyebrows are pinched in like he's already heard the bad news, and already knows what's coming.

"I know I'm not alone here, I know you've been feeling this-'' I motion between us with my hand and feel tears pool in the corners of my eyes. "This separation. Ever since we talked about the future, it hasn't been the same." He crosses his arms and swallows. I ignore the way his eyes drop and he clenches his jaw.

"I think we both knew this was coming." My last words come out as a whisper and I find the table more interesting, not even bothering to clear my tears.

My heart hurts, and my head is already in the process of blooming with a painful migraine. The air is thick and uncomfortable. How two people can go from filling the silence with ease to making it deafening is beyond me, but somehow we've managed.

"I know." His voice is hard but soft and he stands. I watch as he makes his way over to me and stands before me. He brings a hand up to my cheek and wipes away a tear, and I all but lose it. He smiles a sad smile before speaking again.