Epilogue

One Year Later

"Why am I always taking care of you?"

Delilah shakes her head, her long red waves brushing over my face as she leans to place a pillow behind my head. Her chest comes eye level with me and I tug the collar of my t-shirt that she wears down in a teasing manner.

"Because you love me," I say, tugging it further so she's forced to look at me.

"I do." She leans in, placing a hard but soft kiss on my lips. I groan in both pain and pleasure.

"Oh you poor baby," she says against my lips while sitting up. I let my eyes wander over my woman wearing only my shirt and some Calvin Klein briefs. Also mine. I would buy this girl an entire department store yet she's happiest shopping through my side of our shared closet.

"I am. This shit hurts." I wince, bringing my hands down to the couch to move into a sitting position. My crotch is still a bit numb and I'm wearing tight briefs like the doctor said to prevent too much movement. 

"So does childbirth." She says in a sing-song voice, coming back in with Advil in one hand and water. "But now we don't have to worry about that." She sends a look between my legs and then up at me with a wink.

"You're right. Just you and me for life stuck forever." I reach out, bringing a hand around her waist and tugging her close. She's warm and inviting and if I hadn't just got a vasectomy to aid in our child-free future I would be pulling her over my lap.

A week to go.

"Good." She nods and drags her hand down my cheek.

I look up at her and around at the apartment we've officially moved into. Just last month we went looking for apartments in the Boston area now that she's officially accepted a job offer at one of the best hospitals in Boston. She promised it wasn't because I had my team just forty minutes outside the city and it was due to her getting offered a position with a PA she shadowed in the summer.

I trust her and her decisions. I told her I'd drop everything, sell my apartment and move wherever she needs. The commute didn't scare me, what scared me was not being able to be with her. I'd do anything in my power to make her see that.

Including getting a vasectomy.

We know the risks of both potential failure of the procedure along with the fact there could be complications, but I took them. There is no way in hell I wouldn't do my own part in this. I don't want kids, never have and neither does Delilah. We've known for a while about our child-free future so it was only a matter of time before I contributed.

Delilah and I had talked about what we wanted in the future when we first started dating. The both of us were so career oriented and all our goals consisted of career accomplishments and marriage and finding love, but never children. The world we live in today may try and push maternal and paternal instincts on us but we don't have to give in.

We've always said that if we wanted children one day, which may never come, there were plenty already in this world who needed a loving home. For now, we'd enjoy our youth along with getting some pets. Delilah loves pets and misses Anakin, her cat every day. It's almost as though she misses him more than me but she decided it'd be best to leave him with her dad to not disturb his routines already.

Whatever that meant.

"I love you," I whisper onto her lips and she leans her body into my side. "I'd get a million surgeries for you." I pat her lower stomach.

She jumps and laughs. "I appreciate everything you do and continue to do, you know that." I nod at her words.

Silently she climbs on the couch beside me, careful not to touch my hips or groin.