16 - Delilah

Warmth.

I'm so warm, everything about this moment radiates heat. The warm breath of air he lets out between the connection of our lips. The heat of his body pushed up against mine.

We're each other's warmth in the frigid January air. We're standing outside of the local bar full of people who will gossip, tell their friends, and maybe even the media. But none of it matters, because for now, we're pretending.

Although this kiss feels wholeheartedly real.

He squeezes my hip like I'm slipping away, but I'm nothing but permanent against him. His chest and mine move heavily against one another. Running my hands along his shoulders, careful of his right, I soak in the feel of him.

Our mouths fight for dominance, like each of us, can't get enough. He drops his head to the bend of my neck and I squint my eyes shut the second his teeth graze a vein.

"Fuck," I'm breathless.

He comes back up, eyes heavy and barely open. Both of us breathe heavily ready for whatever comes next. I lean in to press our lips together again and he meets me halfway.

His hand on my hip slides to rest on the exposed skin of my risen scrub top. The feeling makes me weak in the knees, every part of my senses shot.

"Del girl, you're killing me." He groans into my mouth, teeth biting my bottom lip gently. He pulls back and presses my hands firmly to his chest.

For a moment I forget where we are, what we're doing, and who we are. I forget that we're in public, pressed against the wall of a bar. I forget that he's Mason Jones, THE quarterback and that we're supposed to be friends.

But the moment is over almost as quick as it comes.

Clara bursts through the door on our right and I push Mason back, swiping my arm across my lips. Mason coughs, adjusting himself before turning away.

"There you are! We thought he kidnapped you or something!" She's smiling knowingly and I dread the conversation I'm about to get on the way home.

"We were just talking." I almost laugh at the lie that leaves my lips. Masons short wavy hair is a mess and I look like I just ran a half mile.

She gives me a deadpan look and rolls her eyes.

"Mhm. Anyways, I'm tired and hungry. You ready to go?" She points to Ryan who's holding the car keys, always our designated driver as she doesn't drink more than one, or if that.

I nod my head yes and hold out my finger as if to say one minute. She turns on her heels and follows Ryan to the corner of the street where they parked.

The silence grows between the two of us, reality like an ice pack to a burn.

"We'll, I'm gonna—" I pointed to the car, not knowing what to say. He turns back to face me, face unreadable. He's probably regretting every moment that led us here, wishing he didn't come out tonight.

I'd like to say I am too, but I can't lie to myself.

That felt good. But that's all it can ever do for me, one fleeting moment.

"Okay." He clears his throat and furrows his eyebrows. For a moment I think he's going to say more but he doesn't. He steps forward, reaching out to brush his hand along my face one more time, and then heads back into the bar.

I've been outside this entire time but for the first time since stepping out, I breathe.

By the time I make it to the car Clara and Ryan are on their phones listening to music, waiting. They both look up when I climb in the back seat.