38 - Delilah

"Don't look at me like that."

I slam my textbook closed and move it to the side, shooting Mason a glare. He promised he wouldn't be a distraction while I study for my finals but he's a liar. For the last twenty minutes, he's sat across the table attempting to read the book I gave him.

Keyword attempting.

"I'm not looking at you in any way." He plays innocent, moving back in his chair. His arms stretch behind his head, muscles bulging.

"Sure buddy." I stand, making my way around the table to sit on his lap. His arms instantly cocoon around my waist, pulling me close.

"You're going to pass them anyway. You're the smartest person in the room." He drops his head to catch my lips. I kiss him back, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I noticed how you didn't say the smartest person on the planet." I tease. I know I'm not but I like the way he blushes and searches my face for seriousness.

"Babe. I love you, but we both know that's not entirely true." I can't help but laugh at his face. Trying to be serious but a smile stretched across his lips. I lean into him, allowing him to trace my arms and legs with his fingers.

This all feels so surreal, him and I, in this together. Again.

After my airport pickup, pictures of him and I went viral on social media. People wondered who I am and wondered when he was coming back since his arms looked strong enough to hold me. We both laughed at the reaction but it did make me a bit anxious. Some people can just be totally awful and rude, but they're just insecure themselves.

I ignored the hate comments as best I could, figuring this is going to be my life for the foreseeable future.

"Hey, what's up?" He asks, concerned.

"Nothing, just thinking about the future." I bring my hand up to cup his face, turning it to me. "What are we gonna do?" I say.

"This. Just this." He answers, tugging me closer. "I'm going to go back to training camp starting next week. You're going to rock your finals, and we're going to alternate seeing each other. Like we talked about." He explains, fingering my hair.

After we got home from the airport, and the roadside pit stop, we had a long talk. I voiced all my fears, how I wasn't sure where I'd end up or if I would be staying here in Portsneck. He voiced his own, how he's nervous his schedule will get too busy to the point he can't be the one to come see me. I assured him we'd get there when we get there

We both came to the conclusion that we'd alternate seeing each other. I've yet to go up to Boston so starting next week, when he moves back, I'll go with him for a few days as he settles in. Then I'll come back to work my final shifts. In between the end of my job and the start of my finals, he'll come here, spending the time here when he can.

Then afterward, we'll have a talk. We'll see how it's working out for the both of us and if it's going well then our future might look like buying an apartment together again, somewhere halfway. Most likely we'll wait until I find a permanent job and go from there. I plan to look around the New England area so the commute on both our parts will be as even as possible.

It may seem fast, and rushed, especially after this was all the cause of our downfall. But we've made a plan and that plan is our safety net. We already know how to share a space, so moving in together again isn't the scary part.

It's the where.

"I know. And what if I get a job in California?" I ask.

"Then I'll move to California. Nothing you say is scaring me away. I have several months of off-season. I'll be attached to your hip and the other I will make it work. I'll come to see you between games, I'll fly you out on weekends. It'll be fine." He assures me, and this time I fully believe him.